Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to my daughters a few months ago about maybe sailing to Hawaii in the summer with some friends. I have no idea if it will come to fruition, but they have been giving me lots of quirky Hawaiian stuff. This ashtray came in the other day, and I'll have to say that it alone may be worth setting work and life aside for a few months and hoisting anchor. It says "Hawaii" from either side and has a great little pipe rest in it. It would look great with one of those bobble hula dancers made for the dashboard. Ha ha.

D49AC6E9-71FC-4196-80E5-2AC64639BF6D_zpsj33c9svn.jpg

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Nice! The dark grain of the ashtray reminds me of some lava flows; fits with Hawaii very well.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
What island do you plan on going to? Oahu is very nice and had a couple of nice cigar/pipe stores. One was over by the award shopping center (it closed before I left sadly), another was close to the Alo Moana Mall (I think that is how it is spelled). Hope you do take the trip, it is well worth the visit.

We would be sailing out of California (wherever my friend is docked at the time), and we would most likely drop in on all of the islands. Moloka'i was one of special interest to me, because of a special fascination I've had for Father Damian and his work with lepers.

We had tossed about Golapagus Island as a possibility, but there's a huge waiting list and lottery on who can go ashore. So... It is really all just an idea at this point. I really hope we can do it, but I would have to have a bunch of ducks get in absolute order business-wise before I could do it. Fingers crossed...
My college roommate lives on the boat with his family. I most want to spend some time with them, and reconnect. That would be the best part. He's not a pipe guy, but he appreciates fine cigars.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I most want to spend some time with them, and reconnect. That would be the best part. He's not a pipe guy, but he appreciates fine cigars.
Follow your heart Cosmic...... Chances like this are few and far between. The business will be waiting for you when you return, life's too short........... :puffy:
Oh, and yes, thats a very cool ashtray...... :D

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cool ashtray and I hope you get to go ... that would be a fantastic trip!
BTW... You're not smoking that 1849 crap are you?? :mrgreen:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That's a neat looking ashtray! A little kitsch, a little class ... and exactly the kind of thing the eye wanders to, a reminder to stay focused. Clever gift from someone offering a hint.
And look ... it even has a spot just perfect for that really nice-looking rhodesian author saucer there. :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That thing is right up my alley. I love pipe accessories with a kitschy 40's/50's vibe. Just a weird weakness of mine. And I wouldn't even think of passing up a trip like that!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like a tin of El Nino would be appropriate. Hope it happens with smooth sailing and safe passage. The trade winds are reversed right now, but I think your friend knows all about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.