PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
For some time now I could not really figure out why I had an affinity for pipe smoking. No one in my family ever did or if they did it was a short time before I was born.

Then last night I was talking to my brother about my pipes and he referenced a gentleman we lived near when we were children(mid 1970's). His youngest son and my brother were friends and we visited their house to play often.

The father was a pipe smoker and while this was lost on me as a child, I suddenly had a moment of realization that he had ingrained in my mind the idea of pipe smoking. He was a cross between James Garner and JFK and was a kindly man and always had his pipe. He is now probably now in his mid 80's and has been a few years since I've seen him.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Memories are something aren't they. When I was 5 my father had our house built. A big Cajun named Coon, never knew his real name smoked the pipe, had Bib overalls and puffed and puffed, it smelled heavenly for me, a cross between burning Hay and the wood fire we used during Bouchire, that is killing a pig. He would tuck it in his upper pocket still smoking and I wondered if his clothes would catch on fire.HaHa. It's still vivid in my old mind.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I had Uncles that smoked pipes. But if I had to say who was my inspiration, I'd have to say Fred McMurray. When he played the father in the 60's TV show, My Three Sons, he smoked a pipe. He impressed me, as he always seemed to have the right answers to what ever situation was at hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gramps, Dad, and Uncle Roger always smoked pipes. When I finally tried it in my early thirties, I had the

technique down pretty well from imprinting. No one showed me directly, but they showed me for sure.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"He is now probably now in his mid 80's and has been a few years since I've seen him."
I encourage you to visit this gentleman and let him know how he influenced your life, as I believe that you would both benefit from the experience.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
My Dad smoked a pipe when I was growing up but I am more influenced by those who reside here. We enable each other and encourage our passions and its thanks to my association here that I've learned all I have.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My late grandfather was the greatest male figure in my life. I think of him often as I smoke my pipes. He was a typical pipe smoker of the day as far as I can remeber, scoop and press right out of the pouch. A clencher. Probably smoked only one or two brands in about as many pipes, all the live long day. Bless his soul. I truly love him.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, yeah, my gramps was probably the first piper I ever remember, there was a fellow who lived two houses away from us when I was growing up who I used to see with his pipe. He was a college chemistry professor and had eventually, 13 children. I knew the oldest 5 pretty good. I don't know if any of the 3 boys ever took up a pipe. Two did get into teaching. He was like a Father Knows Best sort, or Ward Cleaver type. Understated, never angry, but often stern. He was always a gentleman. (some might not say the same for Gramps)

Status
Not open for further replies.