PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
A pretty unknown brand (anchient mariner) but smokes fairly well but once the bowl is finished and I blow out the dottle a bunch of moisture is blown all over the interior of the bowl. It does not gurgle though. I read a post a while back of someone with a pipe that when he blew through the stem after a smoke the same thing happend and he just doesn't use it anymore. Chalked it up to old tars seeping out while smoking. There must be a fix, I have retorted it and only smoked probably 5 bowls from it since if that. Any ideas? It's one of my favorites and I would hate to toss it. It's the one in my avatar.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
And let me add it is not dry time, may be my puffing (may be a tad too hard for a lack of words... I take short puffs but when I puff I puff) lol, if that makes sense :)

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
You could keep a pipe cleaner handy to mop it up. I have a couple of pipes that just get wet, no matter what I do. I'll be interested to see what the 'Hive Mind' comes up with.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Red, if your tobbaco is dry and you have a good draw sometimes the stem is the problem, see if you have a thick tendon, if so open that up, worth a try if you like the pipe.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Probably should add its a bent pipe so passing a pipe cleaner through the stem so many times gets annoying at times.
Brad: I will look into doing that, I really like the pipe but it effects the smoke when the bottom of the bowl is wet.
Thanks for the quick advice :)

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I've never blown through a pipe after a bowl before, I just pipe cleaner it up.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
redbeard:
Assuming this is only happening with this one pipe, I won't chalk it up to technique on your part (i.e., saliva from your mouth running down into the shank). But there's absolutely nothing wrong with running a pipe cleaner through a pipe while you're smoking. I almost always have to do this with Virginias, especially if I'm smoking them in a bent pipe.
But let me ask you this: Is the pipe heavier in relation to its size than your other pipes? If it is, it could be a sign that the briar was never properly dried and cured from the outset. Which means it's unlikely it will ever improve in terms of its smoking properties. If that's the case, you may want to consider retiring it, selling it on. . . or just accepting the fact that it's never going to be a good pipe.
Bob

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Really did it to get all the Dottie out of the pipe that I missed. Will definitely stop that ASAP! That pipe uses more pipe cleaners than any other lol, I need to stock up :)
Is the pipe heavier in relation to its size than your other pipes?
Yes it is actually, but it does have the biggest walls of any other of my pipes and the biggest overall. It is 61 grams, I would be pretty sad about that but if its going to mess with my smokes I can't have that now can I.
-- like 2-3 days longer. Some pipes just demand longer drying times.
Tried this as well :crying:
@ Brad: your advice about opening up the tenon a bit, what exactly would that do to the pipe? How would it fix the problem?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll just say I don't see what the problem is with blowing through the pipe when you're finished. I do this routinely. After I finish a bowl, I run a pipe cleaner through, turn it around and run it through again, fold it in half and wipe out the inside of the bowl, then finish up by blowing a couple of puffs through the stem to dislodge anything loose that may still be in the shank/bowl. Then I give it a couple of good taps on my palm for good measure. Then she's good to go.
Bob

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I agree with all of the above, sometimes a small tendon hole lets a lot of condensation in the shank chamber and opening up the draw hole cuts down on the condensation, that being said the briar may not have been cured properly, my advice was just a small fix and would eliminate the draw. I can usually tell how my new pipes will smoke by how many pipe cleaners come out wet, 2 to 3 pipes cleaners wet , not so good, my Rad and Perris new 1 cleaner a little wet gonna be a good pipe, 1 Artisan pipe I paid big bucks for 3 cleaners , the third a little moist Oh Shit. The old cajun

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Lots of good advise. To open up the draft on a pipe, I use a set of long needle files. A restricted airway often will promote water to condense on the walls during a smoke (venturi effect?), leading to gurgling, or a lot of moisture visible at the end of a smoke. Properly drying out the tobacco and properly packing the bowl will go a long way to relieving the problem of excess moisture. Also running a cleaner mid-smoke is a common practice. After each smoke or two, I'll dip a pipe cleaner in Ever Clear grain alcohol and swab the pipe. I'll then reverse the cleaner and use the dry end as well. Then, I'll bend the cleaner in half and swab the chamber. Often I'll use a twisted piece of paper towel dipped in Ever Clear to clean the chamber. The alcohol will promote the removal of not only tars and oil residues, but will also remove moisture and expedite drying of the pipe. So it needs less rack time before seeing action again. A dry chamber provides for the best smoke IMHO.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
So I took a look at the tendon and it seems to me there is some room to expand, what do you think?
Also thanks for all the advice! I am going to let it sit for a few more days and then try another bowl and see how it does. If nothing changes I may open the tendon up a tad.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I always have excess moisture after a bowl or two. I do blow into my pipes to clear the stem and shank of moisture then let them dry overnight or for a day or so. I find my Trypis pipes gurgle a bit due to the lack of a wood filter like the Brighams have, but I think it's only b/c they are new and don't have a good cake in the heel to absorb the moisture. Also the hole in the tenon is the same size as the draught hole so it is a little puzzling as to why they do it. I smoke some blends and pipes a little slower than others and it still happens. I do dry my tobacco before I smoke it. Usually before I jar it or put it in a pouch or the week I let it sit out until it feels dry to the touch.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Redbeard that's pretty much what the tenon looked like it my Eriksen before I opened it up, now it doesn't smoke wet anymore (it sometimes sat for weeks unsmoked and still smoked wet so I don't think thats your problem) and has a much better draw. I think you may have found your culprit.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Is te smoke good?
If so, why worry?
I sometimes have exactly what you are talking about in the bottom of my pipes. I can assure you it's not my pipe. I simply run a cleaner through my pipe when I'm done, wipe it out with a towel, and I blow through the pipe I get any ash or bits left, out I there. Don't worry so much, as long a the smoke is good. I smoke the same two pipes everyday, all day, and never have a problem with them.
I understand wanting to know why something does something, but sometimes it's easier to let it be. I promise you, you are doing no harm in blowing through your pipe t the end of a smoke, and if something happens to your pipe because of this, I'll buy you a new one ;)1

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Chubb: I have noticed that every new bowl I smoke out of it, it is almost sour and I can only think it is because of the moisture from the last bowl. So it smokes good but the taste just isn't there even before the moisture starts to build. Once the moisture starts to build and I can sense the gurgles coming on it is just down right bad.
I may just retort the pipe to try and get rid of anything I missed and then open up the tendon a bit.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Red I saw the tendon hole, very small, your idea of retorting and opening it up is a wise choice, the small hole increases resonance time, in other words more time for condensation, opening it up decreases resonance time, less time for condensation, I believe you are on the right track.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Ok so I took the smallest file I had and slowly opened it up.... a little off center. I did not have a vice to use so that made it a little tougher. I will see how she smokes in a little bit.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks a bunch Roth and Brad! I am smoking her as we speak and honestly it is dryer but just a tad bit hot. That can be corrected with slowing down and other than that she is doing alright so far. I packed a half bowl because I just reamed and retorted the pipe. Can you pack a full bowl after that or is it supposed to be treated like a new pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.