PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

imhawk4

Lurker
Feb 22, 2013
I use bulk tobacco from Walgreens. Do I need to use a better tobacco. By the time I'm done I can barely touch the bowl, eventhough I try to smoke it gently.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What kind of pipes are you smoking? Inexpensive basket pipes can smoke very hot no matter how good your technique is. The tobacco you are smoking can also lead to a hot smoke as well, but it may not be the main culprit.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Walgreen's stuff does smoke hot because it'e so soaked in PG and no amount of dry time helps. I would advise to try another tobacco say Cater Hall or Prince Albert for OTC or try a bulk from online vendors that are known for cool smoking. If you still have the same problem then look at your pipe and/or packing and puffing speed.

imhawk4

Lurker
Feb 22, 2013
What do you consider an "Inexpensive pipe"? I'm smoking a Savenelli that cost about $90. I have an old beater pipe that I'm sure I didn't pay much for that smokes cooler than the Savenelli! Thanks JL

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'm smoking a Savenelli that cost about $90
Savs are considered to be fine pipes, so likely it's the tobacco. They are know to have high sugar content which burns extra hot.
If you like aromatics but don't want to break the bank, try Newminster brands (can't be found in a drug store, will have to buy online or at a tobacco shop). For a real treat, try Pipeworks and Wilke tobaccos. IMHO, they're best there is.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
Is the pipe new? I find they do tend to smoke a bit hotter until they're properly broken in.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yup, cheap tobacco will do you in - especially cheap aros, which, as was pointed out above, are loaded with gunk. Explore some of the house blends our sponsors have. I have had pretty good experiences with the Hearth and Home line from Pipes and Cigars. Haven't smoked any of their aros, 'cause I'm not an aro guy, but they have some nice burley blends, as well as latakia blends, that are fairly inexpensive when purchased in bulk. Old Companion is a pretty good all day sort of blend.

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
Definitely tobacco is the reason; however, if you insist on the tobacco or packing method as rothnh just mentioned and according to my experience vauen pipes would do great job. Since they are4 not so expensive and really excellent heat resistant pipes.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
$90 Sav + cheap drug store tobacco = penny wise and pound foolish.
One is often better off with a basket pipe and fine tobacco than an excellent pipe and cheap, chemical laden tobacco. It's like buying a top line wine glass and filling it with Mad Dog 20/20. Why doesn't my wine taste good??
Plenty of links on this site - go buy yourself some good tobacco to go with that nice pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.