PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacor

Lurker
Mar 29, 2014
Québec, Canada
I am about to buy my starting kit for pipe smoking. I have read a lot of threads on this forum, and here are the conclusion I retain:
- Buy a good briar pipe I can afford to begin, not a cheap one of weak quality

- Lane 1Q and Frog Morton are good blends for a beginner
So here is what I am thinking to buy to begin (I've found that smokingpipes.com is a reliable site?):
- A Nording Churchwarden ('cause churchwardens look nice, and the one I spot has a pretty decent price)

- A Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob ('cause churchwardens don't let themselves be carried on outdoors very well...)

-Different tobacco blends (because I like to try different things!)

-50g of Frog Morton

-1oz of Lane's 1Q

-1oz of Lane's BCA

-1oz of McClelland's Red Cake

-Churchwarden pipe cleaners

-A Czech pipe tool
What do you think of it as a first order? Any advices?

Jan 8, 2013
I'd say it sounds like your all set. Let us know how it it all turns out. And don't forget to post pics of that Nording!

dacor

Lurker
Mar 29, 2014
Québec, Canada
Ah, I was thinking I'd give a try at the Original, unless you consider I would prefer another, as a beginner?

Your advices are welcome!

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Those are some mild tobaccos, you should invest in something more lat heavy. Punchbowles a good starter Latakia I find. Though I'm a big lat advocate

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I highly suggest Frog Morton on the Town. It was a nice intro to Oriental blends for me.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Frog Morton On The Town was my first foray into they oriental style and I think it is the best to start with. I like the idea of getting a cob along with your churchwarden. If you are anything like me you will favor the smaller pipe over the churchwarden after the first bit. Churchwardens are amazing but I rarely find myself reaching for mine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For comparison, you might want to also get a pipe nail, smaller and cheaper than the Czech pipe tool,

and it's nice to have a few here and there, in case one gets misplaced. I think they're less than a buck.

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
Churchwarden are nice looking pipes and also nice pipes to smoke but if you are a complete beginner as a pipe smoker I would recommend you to wait with that and instead invest in a quality straight sandblast billiard which I think is the best type to start out with as a beginner. It can be quite difficult to learn to smoke slowly and not too hot on a churchwarden.

Aug 14, 2012
Get some regular pipecleaners for the cob, and consider a few pipe nails instead of the Czech tool. They run from 89 cents to a dollar. I keep one at every location I smoke. They do a great job and don't bend like the Czech tool. Also they are a great example of design. Lane 1Q is really sweet. Sure you want that? I would suggest McClelland Black Shag for cobs.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Dacor, you're off to a great start, and it seems you understand the fundamental rule: cheap stuff gives you a cheap smoke. By investing in good-quality pipes and tobaccos you are guaranteeing yourself a great smoke. The only comment I would offer, and it's largely a matter of personal taste, has already been said by a few: I'm not certain that a churchwarden, even a Nording, is the way to begin. I would go with a billiard ands save the churchwarden for later. Also, the pipe nail is a good tool to have around. I have about 20 of them all over the house--as my wife has repeatedly remarked. She tries to help me out by gathering them, and placing them in a single location. You might think about adding some regular siz cleaners along with a pack of bristle cleaners. Cobs are an inexpensive way to get a great smoke, and both the Missouri Meerschaum and the Old Dominion cobs will treat you well. Your tobacco selection is exceptional--we seldom find a new pipe smoker who starts out in such a well-planned fashion. After some experience, they end up where you're beginning. My advice, start with the Frog Morton original and then branch out to the others. Keep your pipes scrupulously clean – they will reward you for the effort.

At any rate, as I said at the outset, you're off to a great start. Happy smoking!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums Dacor
Dacor, you're off to a great start
+1
You did some good research!
I'm not certain that a churchwarden...is the way to begin
+1000
Churchwardens are beautiful looking, but they can be difficult to enjoy, especially in the beginning. They can smoke hot and can be unwieldy.
If you like a longer pipe, maybe give a Savinelli "Bing's Favorite" a try. They are quite nice looking, well made and people who own them, love them.
Also - smokingpipes.com are the best, can't go wrong. Good luck!

dacor

Lurker
Mar 29, 2014
Québec, Canada
Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate your advices. Unfortunately, I didn't see all of the replies before I made the purchase. Here's what is coming:
- A Savinelli Churchwarden (the Nording I wanted was no longer available, but this Savinelli is a bit cheaper, has a smaller bowl and has an acrylic stem instead of vulcanite, which will be easier to clean)

- A Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob

-50g of Frog Morton OTT (You and tobaccoreviews.com persuaded me, seems like a better initiation to Oriental blends)

-1oz of Lane's 1Q

-1oz of Lane's BCA

-1oz of McClelland's Red Cake

-Churchwarden pipe cleaners

-A Czech pipe tool
And for the pipe nails, I will use golf tees.
What makes a churchwarden harder to smoke for a beginner? Is it that the cooler smoke makes it more difficult to gauge the temperature of the bowl?

Since the order is already done, I will try my first smokes with the cob, in order to learn better.
Another question: do you clean a new pipe before you smoke it? If yes, how?
Thanks again, I really enjoy this forum! I'll post pictures of my package when it arrives.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
You do not need to clean a new pipe before it is smoked....just make sure to run pipe cleaners trough it when done, double up a pipe cleaner and swab the inside of the bowl, do not take the stem out while still warm, and enjoy you smoke..,smoke slowly...it's not a race....and Congrats...that's a nice order

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I am new at this also. I have both Frog Morton and McClelland's Red Cake and I like them both. I also agree with earlier posts that Frog Morton On The Town is outstanding. Enjoy it is a great hobby.

Aug 14, 2012
Rav: My mother in law was at our house while I was away. She decided to clean. Some women do this for fun. She threw out the pipe nails, maybe because they were dirty. Don't you love their help?

Status
Not open for further replies.