Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hello all,
I have a Yello-Bole Nova that uses a stinger and I find that it leaks from the connection point between the shank and stem pretty regularly. It also tends to gurgle. I've never experienced these phenomena with any of my other pipes. That said, this is the first pipe in my possession to ever have a stinger and this is my first winter with pipe smoking.
I typically dry my tobacco very well, often setting it on a wooden platter to try for sometimes days. This doesn't seem to matter. I am more inclined to think that it is the engineering of the pipe and possibly the increased moisture level of the winter air that is causing my problems rather than me suddenly becoming a slobber monster.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you in advance,

Mephistopheles
*Interesting fact: I smoke outside and have actually had ice form on the pipe at the connection point.

When hot meats cold, you get condensation. And, no matter how dry you get that tobacco, water is the bi-product of combustion. If you smoke out in the cold, you're going to get water in the stem. This is why I don't smoke out in the cold. It would just be way too miserable for me, especially when I can just kick back in my own livingroom. But, the leaky part... Is this an old estate pipe? It's probably just seen better days.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
+1 for the beeswax....it is quite possible that the threads on both the bit and shank are worn.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Condensation was exactly what I was thinking! That puts my mind at ease a bit. Man, smoking outside in this harsh weather sucks already. Now I really don't want to deal with it.
I should state that the pipe was purchased brand spankin' new and I've only had it for a couple months at most. It doesn't have any threads either. You simply push the stem in, similar to a Missouri Meerschaum cob if that paints a better picture. It's a little Prince of Whales shaped pipe. I bought it because it was cheap and I love the shape, which tends to be hard to find.
The stem does seem to fit flush against the shank but it does have some horizontal wiggle room. That's probably why it's leaking instead of being well contained. I'll give the beeswax a try and report back. Thank you, guys. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.