PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
So I had just finished a bowl of Sextant in my MM Maple Hardwood and as I taped out out the ashes, the bowl fell off. I had noticed it had been loose but still got a decent seal as to be able to smoke without leakage but today it came apart. I put the pieces back and it is resting comfortably but is there anything easy to keep the pipe together? It has a typical MM construction (the bowl and shank are two joined pieces). It was an inexpensive purchase so I'm not gonna sweat it if there is nothing to be done (and I'll still use it) but I was just wondering if there was an easy fix to keep it happening again. Pipe mud maybe or something else?
Thanks.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
Sand or scuff the shank and around the hole in the bowl and reglue with elmers wood glue.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Let the glue dry till you can no longer make an impression in it with your thumbnail.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Same thing happened to one of mine. I put it back together as it is supposed to be and ran a line of crazy glue around where bowl and shank meet. That was about 300 smokes ago. Still going strong

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I actually separate the shank from the bowl on my MM Hardwood pipes on purpose, for easier cleaning. I've always found that the shank still fits snuggly into the bowl.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Wouldn't you run the risk of the Elmer's glue melting or burning when the pipe warms up?

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I'm still trying to smoke the smell of the lacquer out of it so adding glue to the mix won't really affect anything. Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it.

jp12

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2012
I'll just reiterate what everyone else said about the Elmer's glue. But I'll add that I had a similar issue with a cob and when I called MM customer service they specifically said to use Elmer's glue... so that's why there's a bottle of Elmer's glue in my tobacco cabinet now. Hope it works out well for you.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
make a paste of corn starch and super glue...or fine wood dust and super glue...put it on the stem rotate into place and viola...

Do those hardwoods smoke good?

Status
Not open for further replies.