PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang,
Our local Waco (Texas) Pipe Club holds an OTC (Over The Counter) blends throwdown every June. We get large tins of a variety of old classic blends and then following a couple of hours of smoking we rate our favorites. It is a very unscientific contest as most of the club members can wade their way through only 4-5 blends during the time period and few smoke more than half a bowl of each blend tried. I thought that just for fun you folks might like to see the results of this year's OCC Throwdown. We had 17 members in attendance and who took part in the event. A point was given to each blend that an individual rated as the favorite he smoked during the two hour contest. Each member was also asked to vote for the worst blend they smoked.
Favorite OTC Blend -

1. Walnut - 8 (this one wins almost every year. Complex with Burley,Kentucky,Cavendish,Virginia,Latakia,Turkish & Maryland leaf.
2. Prince Albert - 4
3. Middleton's Cherry Blend - 2
4. Sugar Barrel, Edward G. Robinson & Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic received 1 vote apiece
Worst OTC Blends -
1. Four Seasons - 4
2. Holiday, Sugar Barrel & Middleton's Cherry Blend received 3 votes apiece
3. Edward G. Robinson - 2
4. London Dock - 1
5. - Paladin Black Cherry - 1
As for me; my favorite among OTC blends is Prince Albert. I voted for Paladin Black Cherry as my least favorite.
Best,
Pipestud

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's a cool idea PipeStud, I may try that for our next pipe club meeting in July. Our June meeting is tomorrow so I don't have time to pull something like that together, but it would be fun to see the results. I'm surprised that CH wasn't listed anywhere.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Carter Hall is not listed, I am sure, because then it would get all seventeen votes and it would not be fair to the other entrants. Just kidding, but seriously, did your club not sample CH?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Steve, thanks for sharing the results, very interesting. Walnut is a very popular blend on this site also, a lot of guys like mixing it with Carter Hall.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang,
Carter Hall did not receive any #1 votes but it did not receive any worst blend votes either. Remember, we voted on our favorite and least favorite. So, out of 17 puffers, it wasn't listed as either a Cat's Meow or a Suck Egg Mule.
Same with Granger and several other OTC blends that were smoked such as Velvet, SWR,Captain Black White, Borkum Riff Whiskey and Half & Half.
And no, I did not bring Mixture #79 to the OTC Throwdown this year. I did last year and darned near got tossed from the club... and I'm the dadgum club's co-founder and President. Mutinous bunch of nefarious puffers!
Best,
Pipestud

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Very cool. Sounds like a fun club you have and that meeting would have been interesting to hear all the different comments about the said tobacco's. Is the Walnut blend Middleton's Walnut?

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Sounds very cool pipestud. I come from Albuquerque Pipe Club I think we have done some stuff with the Waco pipe club, glad to see you on this forum!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
[/quote]Very cool. Sounds like a fun club you have and that meeting would have been interesting to hear all the different comments about the said tobacco's. Is the Walnut blend Middleton's Walnut?
Yes, one and the same.
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Sounds very cool pipestud. I come from Albuquerque Pipe Club I think we have done some stuff with the Waco pipe club, glad to see you on this forum!
Yes sir, you gentlemen sent us a very generous financial donation to give to the West, Texas Red Cross relief effort and it was greatly appreciated. Your club is full of good folks!
Best,

Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.