Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My Pipe Club Was Hit By A Freight Train

(13 posts)
  1. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blender Russ Ouellette told me about his tobacco blend, Freight Train, a few years ago at the Las Vegas Pipe Show. He knows of my love of strong tobacco with a lot of Burley and said he'd created a blend that I might like. Russ was right! I cellared some of this tobacco a couple of years ago and am sure glad that I recently pulled some out to smoke. I would love to get impressions of this outstanding blend from some of you who have smoked it.

Freight Train even has more than the typical Burley flavor, and the Perique, though far off in the background, was masterfully created to enhance the sledgehammer like effect one gets from smoking it. I was so impressed that I took a jar full of it to a recent pipe club meeting to let everyone sample. We started the meeting with 15 members and left with 3. I think all the others are still on the floor.

Pipestud
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds real good, never had.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Freight Train is a favorite of mine. Actually, this reminds me that I need to get in touch with him.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Never tried Freight Train, but I really like Russ' Fire Storm, Chestnut, Log Cabin, and Balkan experimental M-61. I do like a sturdy burley, but how I'd stand up to that one, I don't know.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud wins the Thread Title of the Week award!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud wins the Thread Title of the Week award!
    No kidding! I read the title and my first thought was, "my god, that's freaking awful!" I had visions of a group of guys all piled into a car getting stuck at a railroad crossing or something along those lines.

You should be ashamed of yourself!!!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This reminds me that I have a mason jar from 2013 somewhere in the back of my cabinet. Will need to dig that sucker out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that's the kind of reward pipe club membership and participation should exemplify.

Glory be!

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great baccy! It's a shame Freight Train and Steamroller are no more.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like one I'll have to pass on because of my NWD (nic wimp disorder). Years into this and my sensitivity hasn't changed at all. Guess that's why I'm not as upset as some with the upcoming loss of Royal Yacht

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Russ passed around a tin of War Horse Green last night in PA, but had no takers.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pound or three of Freight Train & Steamroller in the back of the cellar that need to be revisited.
    Both are very good, strong smokes. Great straight-up or as boosters for meek blends.
    Too bad that they are no longer produced. I would love to see Russ revive them if the FDA regulations are ever rescinded.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russ passed around a tin of War Horse Green last night in PA, but had no takers.

That's because I wasn't there. The horse still packs more power than the iron horse in the tobacco world.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   scloyd, headhunter, buzkirk, bouwser, sumusfumus