PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
We all have them, those pesky incidences of extreme annoyance that are so infuriating they can turn a normally mild mannered and relaxed person into an enraged madman.
Here are a few of mine...
Having something in my eye (an eyelash, mote of dust etc).
A housefly buzzing around my head.
People who eat with their mouth open and who 'slurp' tea, coffee etc.
Noisy neighbours.
Folks just walking into my house without ringing the bell first.
Finding a dead bug in my beer glass. (Worse still, swallowing said bug).
TV adverts.
Folks ringing me up at all hours trying to sell me something I don't want.
Losing things.
Junk mail. (Both physical and electronic).
So folks, what drives you to the point of near madness?
Regards,
Jay.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I get so much junk mail, that I have to keep a burn barrel to burn it all in once a month.

I especially hate election times, when political candidates send out their flyers and the amount doubles.

It's just one more reason I despise politicians (regardless of party or affiliation) and almost anyone aspiring to be one.

That being said, my pet peeves are junk mail and all lying, cheating, stealing, self-serving politicians.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I find that religions that knock on your door to be quite annoying. I remember after a particularly long and boozy party on my roof deck one Saturday night I had a knock on my door at 9 AM the next morning. I opened the door to be confronted by a nicely turned out family sans small child in tow who asked me had I found found Jesus? I pointed out that I had not but I still had a large jug of Pimm's left over and if they were thirsty they were welcome to come on in and help me look for this missing Jesus fellow and enjoy a breakfast libation! Other than that I hate anyone who calls me trying to sell me something or those chaps on the street that stop and ask you if you are a registered Democrat or Republican. Usually if they are the former I tell them that I have a large signed picture of the Donald on my desk and that I fully endorse the reintroduction of slavery to cure the underperforming southern agrarian economy. It drives them absolutely crazy. :rofl:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would get the occasional holy roller at my door and when asked the "Have you found Jesus?" query I would reply something along the lines of "No, where do you think you lost him?".
Jeez, no sense of humor...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses celebrate Halloween?
Strangers ringing their doorbell drives them nuts.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
People who like to think they are English professors correcting people does not make you superior it just makes you a apathetic person.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beyond the quantity of junk mail, I find infuriating mail printed so as to impersonate a government agency or other official entity. This is a cruel ploy to bluff old folks and insufficiently suspicious people. It plays into the meanness of society. Maybe I should develop a form letter tirade to send back, but that would open a conversation.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
People who like to think they are English professors correcting people does not make you superior it just makes you a apathetic person.
Did you mean, "a pathetic person" or "an apathetic person"? (sorry, couldn't resist)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Jay, you mentioned - folks just walking into my house without ringing the bell first. I have never been to England and I'm not exactly up to date on English Law, but in my neck of the woods, in the rural corn belt Mid-West of America, someone who just walked into your house without ringing first, would likely leave the house in the permanently prone position!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Here in southern Arizona, we are third-world adjacent, so you DEFINITELY do not want people just wandering into your home. The country we are next to specializes in exporting two illegal commodities, and about 95% of our countrymen are either supportive of or are in actual collusion with those two "industries". And since business is booming, there are a lot of "drop houses" where drugs and illegal aliens are stashed for further distribution. For all of those ignoramuses out there who think drugs are a "victimless crime" and illegal immigration is just about "people trying to make a better life", I'd love to see your house mistaken for a drop house by drug thieves or migrant kidnappers. When your door gets kicked in and you get shot in the face, maybe you'll see just what the fuck it is you're actually aiding and abetting. Because, yes, that has happened here.
So, I would have to say people just walking into my home is one of my pet peeves as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Did you mean, "a pathetic person" or "an apathetic person"? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Not to mention changing persons within a sentence and omitting the comma after superior! :)
What I hate most are scammers who prey on the old, infirm and stupid.

May 4, 2015
People who use the center turn lane as a way to bypass traffic. Or as a place to sit while merging in to traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.