Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My Penn Valley Clay Pipe

(14 posts)
  1. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is my new Penn Valley Clay pipe. It is a marbled "Dutch Gouda" style. It smokes entirely different from any briar, cob or meerschaum I've ever smoked. It is quite neat and just plain fun to smoke!

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ive seen those before i think they look awesome. glad to hear it smokes nice to. Thanks for sharing.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been eyeing clay pipes for a while now. I've been thinking about purchasing a tavern pipe (which is what I believe they call the really long ones), something to take me back to a time when smoking a pipe was still new, sort of like I am in the hobby at this time. Yours is quite nice but I think I'm going for a plain one.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hodirty that's a gorgeous pipe!

Me, I tried a clay some years ago. Dropped it gently on the table and it broke into pieces. So another clay pipe? No thanks.

Good to hear yours is smoking well. Unique in looks and smoking qualities? Certainly. Enjoy

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's beautiful! I've actually thought of getting one myself.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unique and interesting looking pipe hodirty, congrats and have fun with it.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's mine (Sherlock). I feel like you have an unfair head start on coloring....but I've smoked this guy plenty so it's getting closer to black. I love mine, hope yours doesn't break anytime soon (my first clay lasted ~5 weeks)

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

That's a great looking pipe you have there. I have three clays, one like yours (except without the coloring), one TD style that I found in an antique shop, and a Pamplin with a reed stem. Great smokers all. The only issue I have with my clays is the size of the draft hole on the one like yours, where it's big enough to draw bits of tobacco and ash up the stem and into my mouth. I haven't yet been able to bring myself to the point where I'd be willing to go into a head shop and pick up a packet of pipe screens.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Living in the Netherlands, where we still make claypipes, I can give you a good advice. When you see a Zenith pipe try to get it. Zenith was famous because of its "hollow bowl" principe. That means that the pipe doesn't smoke as hot as a normal clay pipe does.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe - really neat.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

I love Clay pipes, and that marble is gorgeous. Is it worth picking one up? I understand they are fragile but if they smoke well then I might try grabbing one since I baby my pipes anyway. I love my briars don't get me wrong but my most successful smoker is my Cob, so i'm wondering if the clay will give another great hassle free smoke?

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Clays are great smokers IMO. Other than the facts that they're fragile and you can't hold them by the bowl while smoking them, they're wonderful. Like cobs, they give a great smoke for cheap.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. bigriggers01

bigriggers01

Login to Send PM

Wow, that's a beautiful clay pipe. I love my little clay and always use it for the first bowl of a new tobacco. I hope it's as good to smoke as it is to look at !

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys! It is a great smoker, my only problems are the same as most clays. They are fragile and excruciatingly hot and at the end of the bowl you suck alot of ash through. Other than that I have no complaints. It offeres a clean, unaltered taste in the tobbacco. Ive loved nightcap for months, and it felt like I had never truly understood the complexity of the blend untill I smoked it in my clay. For less than $20 including shipping, a great deal. I just have to be extra careful with it. Oh, and pipeshoppe.com sent it in two days as well. Great service. Again thanks all for your kind words. Id reccomend every pipe smoker to give one a shot.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   piperoni, cigrmaster, ben88, renfield, szconrad