PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
9F8B1C9F-3E88-4776-8395-E417F0C21C8E-19063-000025F19E1F18EA_zps3c0db127.jpg
. We get the paper on wk ends, PMon gets it for me, sometimes he doesn't want to give it up. LOL

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Good to see PMon feeling better and up to snuff! If I try to get my Labs to do that, the youngest gives me a blank stare and my oldest turns and walks away (I know what you want but I ain't gonna do it). :roll:
Dave

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
mrenglish, I believe you are right. Dog rules:
Everything is mine.

If I want it it's mine.

If you have it and I want it it's mine.

If I tear it up into pieces ALL the pieces are mine.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nothing like a dog to help one get over the rough spots in life. And, (this might generate a bit of controversy) how a man treats and relates to his dog is, to me, an unassailable indicator of the man, (here it comes) even more so than his relationship with his pipe."
Everyone should take note of how the dog lives his life now and then. To a dog there is only now and it is good for a human to take a few minutes now and then and "live in the moment." This is good whether you are standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon with the sun just peeking over the rim or in the back yard watching the kids play. Just take a moment, forget your problems and . . . just enjoy the moment!
Dogs sometimes force us to do this, especially when at the end of the day, they come over to your chair, give you a look and then lay their head on your knee, big, brown eyes focused on your face and a slow wag of the tail, telling you that everything's right in the world because of me; "Now, pat my head! Scratch a bit behind my ear! I've done my job today and it's the least you can do!"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In the past ...what is it? a year? ...all the many pictures of PMon that you have posted reveal your affection for that pooch.

Tells me you're a good man, and a softy inside that tough, Cajun exterior.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Nothing like a dog to help one get over the rough spots in life. And, (this might generate a bit of controversy) how a man treats and relates to his dog is, to me, an unassailable indicator of the man...(snip)"
Warren, I agree with you 100%! There are dog owners and there are dog lovers, and I have never had a problem distinguishing between the two. Anyone who thinks that dogs are not capable of emotion, love or affection has never loved one himself. And that really applies to all domesticated animals. It's a lucky day when a good dog comes into a man's life! My grandpa had a natural way with animals and he instilled some of that in me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Of the relationship between man and canine, perhaps Rudyard Kipling said it best in his poem titled "The Power of the Dog":
"There is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day;

And when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
"Buy a pup and your money will buy

Love unflinching that cannot lie--

Perfect passion and worship fed

By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

Nevertheless it is hardly fair

To risk your heart for a dog to tear.
"When the fourteen years which Nature permits

Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,

And the vet's unspoken prescription runs

To lethal chambers or loaded guns,

Then you will find--it's your own affair--

But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.
"When the body that lived at your single will,

With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);

When the spirit that answered your every mood

Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart for the dog to tear.
"We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long--

So why in Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My first Catahoula was named KiYan, Cajun French for hot red pepper, his Mother was a Red Leopard , shortened it to Ki which means in French spotted. Ki had cancer, son bought me pick of the litter so I named him PMon which in French means sweet pepper.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Ki was a beauty, Brad! I would recognize him as a Catahoula anywhere. And I know what you mean about loving one, then losing him. When I lost Cochise I always knew I would have another...when I was ready. It took me 3 yrs before I could even begin to look at breeders. Cochise died in his sleep just short of being 15 yrs old, but for the longest time I sort of blamed myself because I used to take him out about once a wk for a plain cheeseburger or an ice cream cone. I used to think that maybe if I hadn't done that maybe he would have lived another yr or two longer! Traveller has been with me now since she was 6 wks old and she is a great one as well, but I can still bring on the tears if I think about Cochise for too long.
I have a speckled Appalosa that is 16 yrs old. My daughter-in-law has some horses on my place but I will never own another.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Thanks for the explanation. My German Short Hair Pointer-Agatha- sends best regards to P-MON

Status
Not open for further replies.