Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

My PAD flared up again...

(18 posts)
  1. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I was near Columbia, TN for work this week so I obviously had to pay a visit to the Briarworks factory. I've loved their pipes online, and I was foolishly hoping that they wouldn't be as nice in person so I wouldn't be hopelessly tempted to buy one on the spot. Boy, was I wrong! Their pipes look way nicer in real life. They have about 100 hanging on the shop wall, and then I got to go around back and they have about 400-500 more! That's where I found this little gem...

The C61 straight Dublin with light stain and tortoise shell acrylic stem. You can tell that love and care went into making their pipes. The craftsmanship is flawless, no fills, smokes perfectly, etc. The pictures don't accurately convey how slight and nimble this thing is, it's fairly shockingly compact but the bowl is generous. The sad thing is, this isn't even close to the best looking grain they had in that back room. I'm in love with this pipe and it will not be my last Briarworks.

If you're in middle Tennessee, do yourself a favor and go see these guys. Pete (El Presidente) shot the shit with me for quite a while and Sam took me to the back and let me paw through all of their pipes to find the one I wanted. These guys are super cool and incredibly gracious and welcoming. They're a small group of folks doing big things and their pipes are really nice. They also had quite the selection of hard to find tobaccos from Dunhill, Rattrays, pretty sure I saw some Esoterica back there... They've got loads of good stuff. Give them a visit, you will not be disappointed!

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Ah,the days of PAD and TAD....don't miss them one bit. You did do right grabbing that dublin though. Lovely grain and nice coloring.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Embers! I was really looking for a yellow stem but this color is quite understated and classic. They said if you don’t see what you want they can likely make it for you. I might have to order another one of these little Dublin’s with dark stain and yellow stem! What a pair they would make.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good looking pipe. I am going to do my best to stop in there when I make my next trip from Indianapolis to Birmingham. I have one of their pipes and have been quite happy with it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe. You recently picked up a Peterson with a yellow stem, right? I too, like yellow stems. The Savinelli Miele, The Chacom Renard, Peterson Rosslare, Peterson Cara Honey.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Nice score! I grew up near Columbia, and I love me some Briarworks pipes. I also have a C61, but it's a sandblast.

You're right about it being a surprisingly compact pipe, but I've never been dissatisfied by the bowl capacity. I do find the stem a touch chunky for easy clenching, so I'm planning to buy a saddle bit pipe from them sooner than later.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

scloyd, I did indeed! I’m a bit obsessed with yellow stems, it seems. Can’t get enough of them. And Hap, a saddle bit would be nice! Haven’t tried to clench this, I tend to hold my straight pipes. I will say this little thing warms up pretty quickly, I’m hoping with some cake buildup it will be less prone to getting hot. Only smoked 2 bowls out of it so far.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I will say this little thing warms up pretty quickly

That was my experience as well, but it calmed down after a couple dozen bowls were run through it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it! I don’t think any of my pipes have much cake buildup yet, I wouldn’t know the glory of a well broken in pipe. I guess I need to smoke more! I just enjoyed my first taste of Hearth & Home BlackHouse out of this Briarworks and man is that a good blend. I’m sure I’ll smoke the hell out of it and break this in pretty quickly.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful birdseye on that one, and I like its trim design and nicely balanced proportions.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe enjoy the smoke out of it

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

That is a really nice looking pipe. Love the grain! True artist. I hope you enjoy.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe!

I'm going to have to look at them closer. I don't have an American made pipe in my collection. Yet...

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Really lovely. I've got the same one on a wish list.

Non Serviam
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Holy cow does that briar grain pop - I love it! What a score. That’s a gorgeous pipe.

May you smoke it in good health and in good times.

(I’m not terribly far from Colombia, TN. That pipe has got me wanting to take a field trip.)

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

odobenus and diamondback, go visit these nice folks! You won’t be disappointed. Nicest dudes I’ve ever talked to, amazing selection of pipes and premium tobacco, and their humidor is growing as well. Oh, and they have great beers on tap. So you have no excuse, go see them and get an awesome pipe!

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I will get down there someday for sure. Looking forward to it. For now, though, I'll make do with my Moonshine morta Devil Anse, which they made, and which I love.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Love all my Briarworks. Great pipes regardless of the price but it's nice that they don't break the bank as well. All mine are sandblasted and rusticated but that is some lovely grain on yours!

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   haparnold, pipehunter, monkeylyf, mikethompson, npod, pappymac, mtwaller