PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Having grown up on a tobacco farm and having the knowledge,place to grow and access to buck barns,one being an old stick barn I have decided to grow a crop of tobacco.I live in south carolina where my family was paid not to plant tobacco by by the gov.Anyway I'm sitting here smoking my morning bowl of 1792 watching my daughter push her bubble mower and felt guilty for buying the tobacco and not putting the funds toward her savings.Also I'm buying a product that I have all the tools to make.Im not saying gonna produce something that taste like a pease or gawith tobacco.But maybe I can make a sweet smooth plain tobacco that I know exactly what's in it.I think the reason is not to depend on someone else for something I can do.Also while I will come no where near filling a barn up I hope to replicate the smells of opening a full barn of freshly cured tobacco.Wish me luck

It’s been a few years since they cancelled the subsidy checks on tobacco. That $20 sure is missed, ha ha.

As for what tobaccos to grow to taste like 1792, besides an air cured and firecured African Virginia and dark Virginia, I’m not sure how to tell what is in that one. Mostly the flavors come from a cocktail of tonquin bean and various other perfumes that simulate or enhance tobacco flavors. I’ve grow dark Virginias in 2015, and they were alright, not a favorite of mine. But, GH&co uses a variety of “empire” tobaccos that come from regions all over the old British Empire. It would probably be easier to grow crops to simulate or better what Pease does, as they are all using US tobaccos that are more easily identified and grown.
I have found IMO, that homegrown surpasses what you can get from the commercial blenders, as you can 100% ensure that no additives are used for your own smokes. I do not exclusively smoke homegrown, but if I had the surplus, I probably would. Hopefully, by next year I will have enough to do so. It’s relatively easy, no rocket science, and there comes with it a pride that you can make something that rivals the most renown blenders.
And, it’s fun.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
First I wanna find that deep natural sweetness that's in Kendal Kentucky, Cd dark fired Kentucky and old dark fired.I know they find a why to enhance it with chemicals,I hope to coax it out naturally while not making it harsh on your mouth while trying to keep the smoke thick yet creamy and silky.If I can get that sweetness and smoothness you can stack other leafs or flavorings.I have to learn the flavoring process.That being said this is what I have to say about Virginias.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
The only Virginia I smoke is ps lnf.Ive tried everything else people suggested and I guess my body chemistry is different because how I dry it pack it and smoke it I always get tongue bite and the flavor is just not that great.I got a year old jar of fvf I keep trying.I do have some McClellan 40th that is starting to grow on me.im hoping to grow a red that I can cure real slow then stove the hell out of to finally get this great Virginia flavor I hear about.If I smoke it one time and it goes great I might never smoke it again so that's how I'll always remember it.Im going to start collecting seed for this project this week.If your interested I'll keep you updated.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Yeah the base mixture I'm going for won't have Virginia.As I make different little batches I'll add it.I used it as an example of sweetness that can be achieved with burley.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I just had a bowl of haunted bookshop with some 1792 mixed in.Its pretty good surprising how it actually softens that blend

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always get tongue bite and the flavor is just not that great
Virginias are a bit like aromatics in that regard. For some it takes years to develop a palate for them. Some prefer latakia and burley blends for that reason.

PS LNF is a far cry from a straight Virginia. It is a VaPer with a heavily cased flavor added, served up wet. You might want to try a few others, although, now that McClellands is tits up, you’ll have a hard time finding a good straight VA. IMO. But, the experts here might suggest a few pars for the course.
Kentucky is not the only fire cured Burley, and most European varieties are not Kentucky Burley at all. But, since forum members don’t have much experience with Empire tobacco varieties anything smokey tends to get labeled that.
You might want to get some curing knowledge under your belt before you tackle fire curing. It will require specialized equipment. I made one from a turkey smoker and a 55 gallon barrel. But, this year I am building a larger one.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
<p>I'm gonna do all my curing in my late papas small stick barn.Its got a big diesel heater in the middle they added later I think he used it for sweet potatoes tho.Anyway I'm gonna section it off into four stalls that way I can hang the leaf all the way to the top and take it out a section at the time with out cooling or opening the other ones.That way I can cure the same leaf at 2 different temps and that will let me cure each temp for a normal time and I can see how it turns out if I cure it longer at both temps.As for the fire cured gonna use a small grain silo.I got a lot of cleaning to do.Im gonna base everything on what papa kept in his farmbooks.I might even get in his notes on turning

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Make sure the diesel heater is totally isolated from your leaf or your tobacco will taste like diesel when you go to smoke it. But why go through all the trouble of using a heater for Burley? Just hang it in your barn and wait about 6 weeks. Once the leaf is brown, the curing process is complete. There is no such thing as "curing longer". Once cured, you begin the aging process.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
Actually you are wrong about curing longer.Im gonna have 4 sealed stalls taking indirect heat so when I start curing they start together right.Oh I guess I need to say that I'll be curing the Virginia with heat not the Burley.I didn't say it earlier because I figured anyone on this thread would know that.I guess I was wrong sorry for the assumption.Anyway to see the effects of curing times when I take out one section and leave the other in it is curing longerAlso you don't hand burley in the barn you hang it outside under a lean to shelter built onto the barn.You also mention it turning brown.I remember my papa telling me about the different attributes the leaf would take on as it browned/darkened.Whst shade of brown were you talking about, because if you mean stop right the it shades you losing flavor because you are not allowing the sugars to caramelize and oils to concentrate.Oh yeah just so you don't give the wrong answer because I didn't give detailed info shading means the tobacco leaf is starting to color.Also from what you said about curing and aging o guess you have come across some information on the exact scientific time when curing is done and aging begins so I was wondering is the the same for every tobacco strain.,If so it proves every tobacco farmer I've ever known wrong.Now this is what I was taught but it could be wrong cause I'm just an old country boy who was ouckt enough to grow up on a farm is that curing starts when you hang your hopes and leaf to dry by air or heat,then the aging begins when you put it in your tins.Translated it means there is no set curing times only suggested.At last is about the heat and burley.Peoplr try different things didn't a guy use the method for making perique use Virginia instead of Burley

I heard that come out pretty good.If he would have listened to to the people who did nothing but give criticism and point out things they thought were wrong that great tasting leaf would not exist.Om glad this site doesn't have people like that on it right.So hey thanks for your opinions.Oh yeah I meant to ask how many pounds do you grow a year?

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
All the best with this! Always happy to hear when someone attempts to grow and make their own.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Boy, I sure wish you luck with your grow because you seem to be very confused about how to actually grow and process tobacco..
[/quote]Actually you are wrong about curing longer.Im gonna have 4 sealed stalls taking indirect heat so when I start curing they start together right
Virginias are cured within a few days. Once the proper temp is reached (usually 135F give or take a few degrees)the tobacco is stored in a warehouse. Keeping them at an elevated temp will do nothing. The purpose of heating a Virginia is to kill off the enzymes before that can destroy the sugars. Once that is accomplished there is no sense in continuing to heat the tobacco.
Also you don't hand burley in the barn you hang it outside under a lean to shelter built onto the barn
You really need to do some research before you destroy your crop. Burley IS hung inside a barn. The doors are opened and closed as needed to control humidity. It is a little bit more art than science. Not enough humidity and the leaf will dry green. Too much and you get mold. Maybe 200 years ago Burley was cured out in the open but then people got educated.
different attributes the leaf would take on as it browned/darkened.Whst shade of brown were you talking about, because if you mean stop right the it shades you losing flavor because you are not allowing the sugars to caramelize and oils to concentrate.
sorry.. Burley has no sugar content. It is why it is air cured.
you have come across some information on the exact scientific time when curing is done and aging begins so I was wondering is the the same for every tobacco strain.
It all depends on the heat and humidity in the barn. To a lesser extent it also depends on the nitrogen content of the leaf. There is no exact time for curing but typically 6 weeks is given as an average.
Peoplr try different things didn't a guy use the method for making perique use Virginia instead of Burley
That was me.. I've made Perique out of Burley, Cigar leaf, Viginia, Turkish and Semois.
Good luck !!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I know a fellow who for serious health reasons can no longer smoke tobacco, so he’s actively experimenting with herbal mixtures. No, not THAT herb. Believe it or not, he reports successfully creating a Perique from ragweed leaves. He has spent a bit of time with Mark Ryan, so in my mind, there’s no reason to doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.