PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Hi Folks......I'd like to use P&C to put together "my own blend" as a graduation gift for my GF's son. I'm new to all this pipe smoking, and realize that a blend can go horribly wrong if the ingredients don't play well together. Here is my question....can anyone here give me some "general guidelines" on percentages/parts of different tobacco types that will play well together? For instance, after researching some and playing around at P&C, I landed on 5 oz of Red Virginia, 2 oz of Burley, 2 oz of toasted Cavendish and 1 oz Latakia. My intention was to create a toasty, sweet blend with a tiny bit of earthiness in there.....however, I was nervous to drop the $$$ if it was gonna suck.....guess I just need a little reassurance.
I'd appreciate any help. Though I'm not looking for a recipe of two or more factory tobaccos mixed together, I'm always open to hearing what you folks like, and may potentially try some of those types of

"blends" to increase my cellar.
Thanks much,

joe

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
My suggestion to make Scottish tobacco.

1.Mixed well all you have.

2.In two mason jar put all your mixed tobacco.

3.In the center of tobacco place little half bottle of scotch whisky in with lids open.

4.Close mason jar and store about 3 to 6 months or years if wish.

5.Just don't spill whisky into tobacco.

happy smoking.

Jan 8, 2013
I guess for those of us who aren't blenders, when we do the My Own Blend, we kind of have to go with our gut and the little bit of knowledge we do have. My first try it at this came in the mail yesterday. I'll try to get a review up of sorts in a while.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
For instance, after researching some and playing around at P&C, I landed on 5 oz of Red Virginia, 2 oz of Burley, 2 oz of toasted Cavendish and 1 oz Latakia. My intention was to create a toasty, sweet blend with a tiny bit of earthiness in there....
I think something like that could work, though it depends on what the burley is like and what the VA is like. I can't speak for Russ Ouellette, but as I understand it, he doesn't mind people asking specific blending questions. He even gives out his phone and email here for that purpose.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/faq/article/131/ouellettes-blending-theory

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Pitchfork.....thanks for the info, I just emailed Russ
Anthony....I'll be looking for your review, what proportions did you use???

Jan 8, 2013
50 percent yellow virginia, 25 toasted black cavendish, 13 dark fired kentucky, and 12 latakia, Mojoe. Good luck with yours, and let us know how it turns out.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
So....I emailed Russ last night, and this morning bright and early, he responded by giving me the reassurance I was looking for. He felt my proposed blend will be slightly sweet and a little smokey. Props to Russ for taking a minute to help out a noob! I'm ordering right now!

Jan 8, 2013
:clap: The customer service Russ provides, even when not required, is outstanding. He always seems to go above and beyond the call of duty. Let us know how your blend turns out, Mojoe. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
So....I emailed Russ last night, and this morning bright and early, he responded by giving me the reassurance I was looking for. He felt my proposed blend will be slightly sweet and a little smokey. Props to Russ for taking a minute to help out a noob! I'm ordering right now!
That's great. Glad it worked out for you. Blending is fun and it doesn't hurt to have a little help from a master blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.