PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
So I find myself in a position to get a new tobacco type/flavor. As of now, I mainly smoke either VA blends or various aromatics. I have C&D Kajun Kake, but it is an occasional smoke I try to reserve for warmer days. Mainly looking for something new, just wanted to see what idea you guys had! :D

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
What currently are your favorite VA blends/ aromatics and why(what do you like about them)? Makes it easier to establish a baseline to make suggestions off of.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
My favorite VA blend is a house blend, so I don't really have anything to compare it to!
As far as aromatics go, some of them are house blends like Cherry vanilla, caramel and other flavors. Perhaps my absolute favorite has been McClelland Holiday Spirit.
I've been leaning towards, with summer, probably a fruity aromatic that fits summer, such as peaches or blueberries. But at the same time, I feel like warmer weather opens up more room to smoke both non-aromatics and new aro flavors!
I suppose the thing I like about the aromatic house blends has been excellent flavor with little to no bite! The VA Blend (which might have some cavendish mixed in, I can't recall) was along the same way. A bit smokier but still sweet. I enjoy alot of smoke with still a nice, mellow or sweet flavor. But I also enjoy the VaPer blind I have, which isn't nearly as sweet. I'm still relatively new to pipe smoking, so I'm pretty open to any new baccy :D

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
SPC Deception pass. I think the majority of Va I enjoy are in flakes. Any experience working with flakes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might want to sample a small quantity of Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired bulk loose tobacco, which you could get for a little less than the flake in a tin. It's an interesting experience.

Let me warn you about Haddos. be very careful, and I mean it. I entered "The Delight" with with an unknowing and childlike spirit. After my firzt zizzline zinger of a bowl of this, I was like a meth head finding a new toy. I zucked down that firzt bowl, zeccond, zizzle zizzle, it haz a zinger of a flavor that zurpazzez all other Vaper wannabeez. Like little pieces of zig zag ztripped zizzle on the tongue znizzle flavorz with zome type of topping that rocks my pipes, each and every zizzling one of them. They made my pipes all ZING with flavor!! I dreamed of tins of fuzzy gummy worm tobacco with striped pieces fuzzy and warm, all crying out to be loaded and zmoked. I zucked down one tin, and another, and another. My B&M only had six tins left, and zucked them down. I ordered six more 8oz tins. I was like a crackhead on the street corner, zmoking away. It was a magical blend, like some Allister Crowley like mojo calling me. I had to ween myself off to function. IT-IS-THAT-GOOD!!! I have since ordered more, and I have yet to summon the power to crack open another tin. I will need the stregnth of some crazy dog headed Egyptian god to help me control myself next time. But, I just have to have as much of it stored away... there will be another day... when I can control myself enough... :::pant pant pant:::
I think you'll like it.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Did you tried Seattle pipe club's Plum Pudding? It's english(?)blend but Krumble Kake.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
If you want to move more into the non-aros without giving up all of the aro elements you might try a VaBur flake with a topping. I find the Virginia keeps it a little sweeter and burley gives it some smoke output. Just have to watch out on the nicotine content that can come with some of those.
Erinmore flake and University flake might be a little much on the nicotine, but could try something like Bob's chocolate flake or MacBaren Vanilla cream(smoke it slow).
Unfortunately that is as close as I can get to suggestions for aromatics aside from checking out a lakeland blend which for most is love it or hate it.
There have been a lot of really good non-aromatic suggestions made thus far though.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Chap acb, I'm glad you brought this thread up, I'm in he same boat. I like the aro's and would like to slowly transition into some non aro's and different blends. Thanks for posting the question:)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Regarding "House Blends", I think MOST are relabeled Lane products. I am sure that a lot of them are.

I suggest getting a sampler or two from P&C. They're offering 10oz. in 2oz. increments of various blends for 19.99.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Cosmic- Lol!
I highly suggest you get into some flakes. Dunhill Flake is a great one to start with. No bite, smooth as butter, and it has an unbeatable natural VA sweetness!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For a fruity summer aromatic I'd suggest Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice. That one is a tropical fruit, maple, vanilla, and rum flavoring. I also enjoy their Sunset Breeze in the summer. It's an amaretto flavored blend. Sutliff has a blend called Taste of Summer which has a lovely peach flavoring.
If you like Va blends you might also want to give VaPers a try. Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake is a nice sweet bulk VaPer that's affordable and very good. Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls is another solid VaPer, but it's less sweet than Luxury Bullseye Flake and it only comes in a tin.

lannarkgent

Lurker
Aug 20, 2014
"If you like Va blends you might also want to give VaPers a try. Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake is a nice sweet bulk VaPer that's affordable and very good. Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls is another solid VaPer, but it's less sweet than Luxury Bullseye Flake and it only comes in a tin" quote from Lord of the Piercings.
I concur that Luxury Bullseye Flake is mighty fine and it would be one I would try.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's not going to suprize anyone that for aros, I recommend Sutliff's Molto Dolce, possibly the best aero on the market, arguably. An interesting house blend, if I understand that phrase properly, is P&C's Trout Stream. I always have a pouch filled with TS.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
If you want a aromatic tobacco that you can still taste the tobacco, I would check out Peterson's Nutty Cut. I feel like it is a good transition from Aromatic to non-aromatic blends. It does have a nutty flavor so if you don't like that flavor then avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.