PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

njal

Lurker
Oct 18, 2013
Hi,
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, and I have decided to buy my third pipe. Bought my first around 2 years ago, and my second a year after (which I love). However, at this time I was considering buying a third one to mix things up a little. To be specific, I was going for a long stem pipe.
I found one online for a reasonable price, but since I am not really knowledgeable about what makes a good pipe, I'm rather hesitant.
The one I'm talking about is a Churchwarden Pear Tree pipe, made by a Mr Brog. The bowl diameter is 27mm for the outside, and 16mm for the inside. To my knowledge, that is slightly on the small scale. My current pipe's bowl is much larger.
Is pear tree a good wood type? I had a briar wood type for my second pipe.

Would the bowl size really affect the smoking? Since it is a long stem pipe, I figured it wouldn't really matter.

If not, do you have any suggestions? Am willing to spend not more than 20 euros (which is around $25 or £17).
Thanks!
Njal

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Dollar for dollar brog does make good pipes and many members can vouch to quality and enjoyment. Just my own opinion I don't like pear, or olive. But they do get great reviews for the respective pricetag. Just avoid the real knock off rosewood and the redwoods you see in the bay. But brogs are smokers. It's the cheapie imports that can give harsh effects of the crap wood, but never heard of it with any brog.
Given the target budget I say go for it. You prob spend more than that in a week on the metro.
Welcome to the forum.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I have a couple of Mr.Brogs and they smoke well and the price is right.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Glad you joined us on the forum, Njal.
I don't have any Brog pipes, but I do have a couple of pipes with very small bowls. They are good for very strong tobacco blends. For me, 1792 Flake has to be smoked in a small bowl.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Briog are about as good as it gets in the price range, just like cobs and meets and clays, they do have a different taste that you might hate love or not notice. The smaller bowl means the pipe wouldn't smoke English as well, and the smoke will be shorter. I actually prefer a smaller bowl though so to each his own. Let us know if you pull the trigger!

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
My wife bought me the Mr. Brog Churchwarden for one of my first pipes and I enjoyed it immensely in the beginning. That being said... It is a VERY short smoke. That and with getting pipes with larger bowl sizes I notice a greater... Deepness? In flavor with some of the larger bowls then the Mr. Brog. To be fair, I have a Peterson Dracula 606, a Petersen System Deluxe 11s, and two artisan hand made pipes so there is a bit of a gap in quality.
What I would recommend is (for that price) a SmokinDragon Cob Pipe. He usually makes them with some pretty cool designs so you arent suffering there and you get the larger bowl size without having to spend a hundred or more on a briar pipe.
Speaking of which I havent seen TheSmokinDragon on here for some time... Anyone know if he's doin' all right?

njal

Lurker
Oct 18, 2013
Really glad with responses! Thank you very much for your replies, I shall try it out. For said budget, I think it's a good buy.
Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.