PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I found a nice little Poker with just the right size bowl for flakes. It's even meerschaum lined! Cleaned up a bit with a homemade retort and got all the stubborn "perfume" ghost out.

10crg55.jpg

23u3411.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Nice job cleaning her up, I'm surprised it was so ghosted, with a meer lined bowl. This just goes to show how important it is to keep the stem clean as well as the bowl. Now that you've given it a thorough cleaning hopefully you'll get many years of pleasure from her.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Yep, the ghosting had to be in the stem section. It did have a lot of cake inside of the bowl of which I removed 90%. I'm wiping it thoroughly with 91% Isopropyl after each smoke. I plan to retort again real soon. My goal here was to find a pipe suited for a fold and stuff method. Still looking for the flake it likes best. I am beginning now to find how each tobacco seems to prefer a certain pipe. Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake seems to do well in this guy. McCelland Flakes do not. I have to dry them put more and mix with a good burning tobacco like Carter Hall and use a larger open draw pipe to keep the relights down. Relights just heat up the experience and not that desirable to me.
Anyway... I like the pipe as it filled a spot I was missing in my meager collection of estates.

Status
Not open for further replies.