PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
So I have just moved to a small town, just West of Ft Worth TX, to start what I plan on being the last leg in my career. It is a great change of pace from Austin and the town seems to be filled with down-home kindly folk. There is also a nice little tobacco shop that I got to visit today.
The owner let me try a bowl of 965, which was pretty good, but I wanted something a little stronger. We started playing around and came up with something that really hits the spot. We mixed up 40% James River red virginia, 30% latakia, 20% white burley, and 10% perique. It is really tasty tonight and tomorrow it should be even better. I would like a little more latakia flavor - peaty - so hopefully it shines through tomorrow night.
How does this sound for a blend? Any advice or recommendations?

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I just opened the bag and it smells great! The latakia is starting to come out of hiding. Can't wait for tonight's bowl...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're very lucky to have a B&M in your small town and even luckier to have a tobacconist who is willing to custom blend for you. Your mixture sounds good. Give it a month to meld and then go from there. It could tur out to be a commercial success for your shop and that would be the ultimate win-win.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
randelli, this sounds excellent, a good classic English blend. If this continues to be pleasing to you, I'd keep it in supply. Some of the best smokes I've had are home mixes, not really blends since I'm not a blender, and I neither press nor age the leaf, but just mix them up, maybe dry them a day, and pack and smoke. But if I stop and think about what I'm doing, the results are fresh, interesting, and surprisingly good. Usually I mix what's on hand -- a standard quality Virginia, a similar burley, and then flavor it with considered amounts (a pinch or two or three) of Lat, Per, Cav, etc. Toward this end, I have recently availed myself of the discount on C&D bulk blends to get Turkish and cigar leaf, to see what these do as flavoring agents. I'm mostly a non-aro guy, but have had luck with limited amounts of flavored black Cavendish. If you like experimenting with mixing it's engaging. I mostly mix just two or three bowls and then move on to a slightly different mix between bowls of professional blends.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
@cosmic, I will check on who makes the James River. It was separated from the bulk and sandwiched between Early Morning Pipe, 965 & luxury bullseye flake and luxury navy flake. I will ask the guy and find out.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I couldn't get by the store tonight but I will find out.
This is heaven! Heavy, spicy, smokey, slightly sweet, wonderful! Somewhere between potlatch and 1792 flake. Will this get better over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.