PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Finally "The Light" came on...no more nonsence...

Zippo for Pipes ALL the way !!

forpipesmagdotcom020.jpg
forpipesmagdotcom021.jpg

forpipesmagdotcom020.jpg
forpipesmagdotcom017.jpg

No more of that "butane", they only last a month...and then = garbage !!

forpipesmagdotcom009.jpg
forpipesmagdotcom012.jpg

You can see its been properly rubbed....hahaha... :)

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Nice Zippo, I use a regular Zippo since I have so many of them, just cannot see buying another one just for my pipe, I do prefer to light my pipes with a good stick match though, it does not take away form the flavor of the tabacco as lighters do.

With regards to your butane lighter did that not get too hot? Did it not burn the Briar?

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I've got a Zippo Pipe lighter and I like it,.......not as much as I do matches, but on a windy day matches will do little more than piss you off. Just be sure and keep the wick trimmed as short as possible and let the thing burn for a few seconds before you light your tobacco. I won't use it to light really good tobacco on account of the fluid smell, but then I only smoke good tobacco's in the house where matches work fine.
The disposable butane lighters are good if you use them right and don't burn the edges of your bowls. I've got several of those little Bics stashed away in my locker at the fire-station, both cars and my pickup and anywhere else that I might get caught without matches or my Zippo.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Nice Zippo, I use a regular Zippo since I have so many of them, just cannot see buying another one just for my pipe, I do prefer to light my pipes with a good stick match though, it does not take away form the flavor of the tabacco as lighters do.

With regards to your butane lighter did that not get too hot? Did it not burn the Briar?
You can send off your regular zippos to their factory to get a pipe insert for free. You just send it to the service department with a note saying you wish to have a pipe insert and they even send your old insert back. You just have to pay shipping to them but they pay for shipping back.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
You can send off your regular zippos to their factory to get a pipe insert for free. You just send it to the service department with a note saying you wish to have a pipe insert and they even send your old insert back. You just have to pay shipping to them but they pay for shipping back.
Yeah I know but I am so used to using them as is that I probably would burn my beard off if I had them converted, and I use matches mostly. Thats what I love about zippo, no matter how bad they were abused, send it to the factory and you get it repaired, free, even my old ones from the whe I was in the gulf and such, they took a hell of a beating and zippo fixed them no questions asked. Thanks for the tipp though, others may benefit from it.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I smoke outdoors only...so unfortunately wooden matches just don't make it. But, the Zippo Pipe lighter works really well (wind,hurricanes,tornados,etc,..)

The torch (butane) is fast, and you just have to be accurate with the positioning. But the darn things keep malfunctioning and always refuling, refuling, refuling !!!

Thanks for the Zippo Info....hard to find companies that care about their customers these days.... :)

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I tried to use a torch the other day...man did I get some mouth bite! At this point I pretty much can't use anything but my Zippo. Even regular Bics, what I started on, just don't do it anymore.

Anyone else fall into a rut and find it nigh-impossible to use any other flame than what they're used to?

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
nice lighter. i use bic lighters but do have some zippo`s stashed from my smokin cigs days. i will need to dig them out. there about 25 years old.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
I've got the same zippo pipe lighter and so far it works great. I don't have enough pipe smoking experiance yet to notice it wrecking any of the flavor. I would love to buy one of those 80 dollar lighters i see on display at my cigar store but at this point 80 bucks is a lot of money for a lighter when i would rather buy new pipes and new tobacco. use a match if you want to get to the bottom of your bowl.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My local JR Cigar store has a great selection of them in all colors...ya just had to post up pics so that I'll have to go out and buy one too. :?
Anyone count how many lights you can get out of a full lighter?

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I have no idea,....a hell of lot more than I ever got out a re-fillable butane that's for sure.

I've been using Zippo lighters since I bought my first one back in 1970,....back when I was working in an old country Texaco station, smoking cheap Camel cigarettes and filling my Zippo for free with gasoline drained out of the gas-pump hoses.
Ahhh the days of my youth......young and dumb. DO NOT ATTEMPT.
A little worn and I love it that way:

100_0641.jpg

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I use a Thunderbird Pipe Lighter Insert by Vector in my Zippo shell. It uses butane so I don't have to use a different fuel for my pipe lighter and my cigar torch lighter. I really like it. Best of both worlds type of deal.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't like my pipe zippo, I get more control with a normal lighter. I guess I'm just more used to that. However, I got one of those Peterson zippo & pipe deals and I love the Donegal Rocky pipe that came with it. It wasn't a total loss. :)

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I like having my Zippo pipe lighter for breezy conditions, but prefer my Old Boy for the majority of the time. There are times when it's just too breezy for either an Old Boy or a match.
Make sure you use the low odor fluid in your Zippo. There is still a slight odor/taste there, but it isn't nearly as strong as the old style fluid.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
have a pipe zippo, and a butane kgm insert for another zippo. the only bitch against the butane insert is a fill don't last long.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
I got my Zippo Pipe lighter online about three months ago and I love it. It's the only thing I use now. Only one caveat, use only use Zippo flints and fluid, other flints don't last and gum up the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.