PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I got a nice pipe for Christmas, but I couldn't resist this little cute Comoy's shape 157. So I'm calling it my New Years pipe. I'm not familiar with this shape, and it's rather small maybe about a group 3 and a little over 5 inches. It was in rough shape and had a shank crack repaired rather poorly, as the band slid right off. I also don't know how old this pipe is but it does have the 3 piece C, and is stamped on the bottom of the bowl, Comoy's Sandblast, Made in London over England and 157. But the stamping is poor mainly due to being stamped over the sandblast rather than in a smooth spot. The C had little cracks all around, but I put a little super glue on it and wiped it off so it would fill in the cracks and stabilize the C. I then went ahead and restored the stem and briar with the usual methods with micro mesh, polishing and waxing. The little cracks are still there but are not noticeable without magnification.
I filled it up with an old friend that I dug out after reading the 3 Nuns umm, conversation, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. Forgot how good this stuff is!
Before:

s-l160010-600x361.jpg

s-l16009-600x406.jpg

After:

img_00803-600x339.jpg

img_00902-600x462.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Nice job Orley! Wish I had the time and patience to do something like that.(and your skill that I will NEVER have LOL)...

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats, Orley! That's how you take a cup o' kindness for auld lang syne!

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Sorry about the size of pictures. Got carried away. Anybody know what year this pipe is? Round abouts any way.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@jayski - impossible to get an exact date, the drilled one piece C seems to have been used in the early 1980's, after the merger. It's not real clear when they went then to the stamped C logo.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
@Orley your restore job is amazing! Well done sir. When you can refurb a pipe like that buying new seems to be senseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.