PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
At our last Morley's Pipe Club meeting one of our members, as he regularly does, displayed his latest wares for us to peruse and ogle over. I must tell you all that I have been looking at pipes that were similar to this but none of them had touched me like this one did. Once I saw it I knew I had to have it. This moment definitely tells me that there is a HUGE difference between seeing something online and seeing and touching something in person. I put a half bowl of Wessex Brown VA Flake through it and this pipe loved it.
The markings (which I tried to capture in the photos but obviously I am just as clueless at photography as I am novice at pipe smoking)read Winslow/Handcut in Denmark/ D. I tried to find this pipe somewhere on line but while I did not find its match I did come across the fact that the Grade D pipes are usually out of my price range and that I got what I believe is a really good value on this pipe. To date this is the most amount of money I have ever spent on a pipe, but from the look and feel, the birdseye on the underside and the flame grain around the bowl, as well as the corkscrew-like stem, I am VERY happy with it. So, here is what she looks like:
0082-600x402.jpg

0043-600x402.jpg

0101-600x402.jpg

0022-600x402.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Yaz! I cannot comment on the brand, but it's a beauty of a pipe and the grain is stunning.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Six. I am trying on the photography thing but hopefully you get the idea of why this pipe spoke to me

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Nice! You're gonna love it! I have 2 Winslows and they even beat my Dunhills with smoking non-latakia tobaccos. I never smoke latakia in a Danish pipe for some reason.. This is the Winslow grading by the way:
Group E:

Mostly sandblast or full/partly rusticated.

Smoking capabilities equals the highest grade

Group D:

Flame grain – minor sandpits may occur

Group C:

Good Flame grain – minor sandpits may occur

Group B:

Good Flame grain and Straight grain – minor sandpits may occur

Group A:

Almost perfect Straight grain

Private Collection:

Perfect Straight grain

Unique:

Perfect Straight grain with specially made Gold ornaments or jewellery
Unique grade Winslows are rare, but with a bit of luck you can find a Private Collection grade. By the way, Poul Winslow himself is a VERY nice guy! I met him last year on the Inter Tabac Fair in Dortmund. He even once fixed one of my Winslows (which I ruined myself..) free of charge and shipping costs :)

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Dan was pretty quick on the trigger and rightfully so gorgeous pipe nice pick up!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Decigar, I didn't push you or take your beer and move it so I had better sight lines, did I??
Thanks to Sam, Zach, and Andrew (Samcoffeeman, 7ach, and Decigar) for your guidance and support.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Great looking Pipe Dan...beautiful....I bet its a good smoker as well

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am not sure Eastwood but if I HAD to guess I would say apple or bent brandy maybe. I am not that good at distinguishing some of the similar shapes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
yaz, great looking Winslow with some real nice grain and great birdseye on the bottom. I would consider that more of a Brandy than an Apple. That pipe has a retail of 400.00 and I have owned a couple of D's over the years. I have owned 7 Winslows in my career with a B being the highest grade and E being the lowest. Everyone smoked great and there is no difference smoking wise between E and B in my experience. The third pipe I ever bought in 2000 was a C grade.
Every Winslow I smoked was a cool and dry pipe and the only reason I no longer have any was because they were too heavy and I stopped smoking pipes with acrylic stems. Your pipe looks like it should be a great flake pipe, glad to hear you love it, congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.