PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

Well I don't own a lot of tampers. Mostly the Peterson Thinking Man pipe tool as I get one free every time I buy a pipe. Classy, unique ones made with alternative materials, I did not own any. Until now.
I give you the "Bidouille" tamper. Made from polymer clay, the bases are made from either briar, rosewood or morta. The creator, Guillaume, has set high standards for making his tampers. Mine is colorful, unique and completed with a briar base. The tamper is impeccably executed, I'm impressed.

It's a fair size but is really light and holds wonderfully in hand. I'm really happy with mine so if you're looking for a different tamper, take a look at his website: https://bidouilles.org/
Don't let the language stop you. Guillaume is functional in English (and a great chap to deal with).
Highly recommended!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
They look nice enough, but at 40 Euro, that's more than a few of the pipes I own.
I think I'll stick to my home made, whittled down small branches I find on the ground.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
if bassbug has his pricing right, I too am of the opinion that EUR 40 is a bit too much. I have seen tampers across Europe for the same price or less that are much more to my liking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tampers have a following just as pipes do. I have a goddess figural tamper made of sea agate that was $69. Saw it, wanted it, bought it. I did haggle it down from $89 though.

P

pipebuddy

Sure, but maybe one should keep in mind that these tampers are unique pieces, made by hand by one individual that is paying attention to details and cares about an impeccable result.

These are not duplicates of a template reproduced in industrial quantities by some machine.

That explains the 40 eur which is, considering that, much reasonable a price. And, putting it beside a Peterson tamper, it becomes even more attractive and unique. If you see what I mean. :wink:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Davy,
I appreciate the workmanship. Its excellent. I'm also very happy to see that there are those out there, like you, able to support a craftsman.
I've been woodcarving for many many years and I completely understand the one of kind thing.
I'd love to get 40 Euro for one of these, but they mostly end up being gifts to family and friends :)
img_0532-600x450.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
7.5 inches in diameter, basswood 5/8 inch thick.
Carved while the stock was square and the scallops cut with a scroll saw.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are striking tampers, a little different from anything else I've seen. It occurs to me that, if one is able to wear things around your neck (I mean, that style looks good on you) this tamper would be one of the few that would go well as a pendant, within continual reach while smoking, and a highly distinctive pendant in its own right the rest of the time. It would have to be drilled with a hole big enough for the chain or cord you'd use. The maker of these might consider that as an option, so they would be made for the purpose and correctly finished. I tend to lose tampers, except for those that cost nothing, like pipe nails or Czech tools. I don't think pendants look so great on me. But this is one of the few tamper pendants that doesn't have sharp edges or folding features.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very nice looking tamper, I like the swirl of the poly clay quite a bit and it looks comfortable in the hand as well, congrats on a fine tamp.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
One of my favorite tampers has a Cumberland base with a crocodile tooth.
If you like a tamper, or anything else for sale, and it fits within your budget, then I see no problem making the purchase. Of course, this doesn't explain why I so many Father's Day tee shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.