Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'm posting about the pipes I bought at the Chicago show separately as my big purchase should get it's own spotlight. A month or so back I was having a conversation with Tbradsim1 aka the Old Cajun about his pipes. He has quite the collection with pipes from just about every well known maker, S. Bangs among them. I asked him, if he could pick one pipe out of his horde that smoked the best who would it be and he said his best smoker hands down was made by Ryan Alden aka Lonestar from this forum. So going to the show and knowing Ryan was going to be there, the potential to buy one of his pipes was high. I didn't have a huge budget, really only enough to buy one nice pipe. I actually saw Ryan and his pipes Thursday night and this pipe caught my eye, but it was only Thursday and the immensity of what the show would be kept me from pulling the trigger. Then Fri rolled around and I went to the Swap Meet in the smoking tent. It was still but a tithe of the number of pipes that were in the show, but up until that point, it was the most pipes I had ever seen in one place. I again talked to Ryan, looked at the pipe in the full light of day and it began to chip away at my resolve to wait until the show itself. Finally to tip the scale to buy, I sold a Dunhill which gave me a little extra green and knowing that the pipe probably wouldn't sit upon his table much longer I went in for the kill and made this baby mine. This pipe was actually a collaboration between Ryan and his Friend Bill Walther. Ryan did the engineering, drilling, stem work, and blast, where Bill did the shaping. Technically it is a blowfish because of the ridge, but falls more solidly into the Danish bent egg shape which is one of my favorites. The blast is amazing and each little birdseye stands out which I am told is hard to do. It has a River Birch Accent. And finally and most importantly the advice of the Old Cajun is sound as it is a wonderful smoker. I am extremely excited to have it, it feels great in the hand and the button is cut just the way I like it. A big thanks to Ryan for what is truly a work of art and craftsmanship and Bradley for the recommendation. Now the pics.

May 31, 2012
Cool beans!
Yes,

Bradley knows best.
For sure.
He's a trueblue goodguy top boss!
Ryan Alden is indeed a very fine pipemaker, plus he's a supercool dude too.

I love his work, and the collab piece you got is sweet stuff!
Ryan knows how to make a good pipe.
It's better than a bargain when you get one,

I have 2 at the moment with another on the way and it's my intention to have a 7 day set from him.
His blasting skillz are top notch.
His shaping is on the spot perfection.
He brings it all together and makes just a lovely damn pipe,

he has also developed a signature which is easily recognizable and that sets him apart from the massive pack nowadays, his voice will grow stronger and he will become an unstoppable juggernaut on the American pipemaking scene, I mean, he already is that, except he'll be even bigger and more unstoppable!
Congrats,

and enjoy it well in rude health!
:puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds like a well deserved promotion. The pipe looks very kool. I love curved stems and imagine that there is a premium on those that are drilled and polished to perfection.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Awesome looking pipe. I love the stem accent and the stem work looks top of the line. I have Ryan on my list to buy from one day and it will definitely be sooner than later. Congrats on a great addition to your collection and I am very happy to hear you love how it smokes. Escudo is definitely a great choice to break that puppy in. If you smoke that every other day with Escdudo for 12-15 bowls, you will get a real nice hard cake on that.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd say listening to Bradley was a good idea Dave! That's a very nice pipe!!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Also Bill Walther did the shaping as I've said, he had some real beauties at the show too. I will seriously consider buying one of his pipes next.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Congrats on the Alden! Mine is by far the prize of my small collection and certainly does have amazing engineering and button work and his blasts are among the best. Mine is smoking fantastically at the moment and I'm still slowly breaking it in with Capstan - though it may receive some Dunhill Deluxe Navy Roll when I get home from work tonight...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Handsome would be the word I'd use also. Very cool pipe!!! I almost always break in with Escudo as well. Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.