PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I know there is a small minority of you that buy whole leaf tobacco and an even smaller minority that grow your own. Here's a link to the new pipe tobacco shredder I just had shipped from Poland. It is a manual shredder with a 1.6mm cut. Built like a tank. This is the absolute best shredder out there. I should know, I own 3 of every kind ever made.. :)
Any questions, feel free to ask. I just shredded a pound of ribbon cut Virginia Brightleaf in about 2 minutes.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5872-My-new-Pipe-Tobacco-Shredder!?highlight=shredder

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
No, It's from another guy in Poland that makes them. I almost bought the Gabej shredder but decided on this one. I actually bought the big 10 inch cutter head with the.8mm cut and was so impressed with the quality I contacted him about making me a 1.6mm
I did a lot of measuring of commercial tobacco and really couldn't decide on 1.6 or as wide as 2.0. Finally picked 1.6
Do you like the 2.2mm shred?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoopee. Keep the small children and pets away. I'm so spoiled by the readymade, but if 'baccy was overpriced and overtaxed, growing and shredding your own would look good. The dry Haitian leaf I've smoked is not bad, full flavored and complex. It's just tied in a knot and dried, air cured. I sure would miss GLP, C&D, Russ, and the other wizards of blending.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Hello, sorry to breathe life into an old thread, but how is the shredder holding up? Is it still the best one out there?
I plan to use this for pipe tobacco, but some around me may want to use it for rolling tobacco. What is the largest cut that would work for rolling tobacco?
Thank you.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The Polish shredder that I have (the 1.6mm cut) is still going strong. I expect it to last me my lifetime. I use a .8mm for cigarettes but I have used the 1.6mm for cigs too. They don't pack as well but it works fine. If you want the particular shredder I have with the 1.6mm cut you'd have to contact Lucas on his ebay site and request it.
Whole leaf Tobacco sells several shredders too but they are not nearly as robust as the one I have. I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend when all is said and done. I grow and process a lot of tobacco so it makes sense to me to get the best built shredder. If you are just looking to do a few pounds a year I'm sure the WLT shredders will be fine. The Polish shredder will probably set you back about $250.00 or more, I haven't checked the price lately.
Perhaps WoodsRoad will chime in on his Gabej.

I like how diverse the cuts of your tobacco are, Jitter. I have just gotten one of those small Polish made shredders, but I think mine is 1.1mm, not exactly sure of the exact size, but I know that it is larger than this one at .8mm. I got mine on Amazon, because initially I was thinking that a paper shredder would be what I needed, but then the tobacco shredder popped up in my search (like it was reading my mind). It was around $30 or so. But, the problem is that it gets gummed up if you try to work with leaf with any moisture still in it at all. I am so glad that I didn't waste money on a paper shredder. It would have probably gummed up instantly.
But, when mine gums up, I just run hot water over it (my home tap water is set to be just under boiling temperature about 180F or so from the tap), and it seems to wash clean quickly. But, of course I have to wait for it to dry before continuing. But, doing five pounds or more using the tiny little shredder seems like a daunting task.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't process tobacco in quantity, but I am still impressed with this shredder. I was relieved to see it is, in part, made of aluminum, so perhaps that reduced the shipping somewhat. It looks built for the ages. I'm more in the market for an inexpensive spice or coffee grinder that would do a good job on less well/evenly cut blends like Dark Star (just for example). Any suggestions on those?

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I plan to use this for pipe tobacco, but some around me may want to use it for rolling tobacco. What is the largest cut that would work for rolling tobacco?
Come to Indonesia then. RYO Tobaccos cost around $2 for a 2oz pack :)
MSO, go to a thrift store or a garage sale, and pick up a used electric coffee grinder for about $5. I buy crock pots and toaster ovens for various things other than food all the time. I can get a toaster oven at the Thrift store here for about $5 also.
A Snuff user maybe?

A Snuff user maybe?

No, Dark Star comes as these little rubber-like barkchips of stoved flakes. They are very wet and rubbery, so it is very difficult to break them up to pack them. But, you can put them in a coffee bean grinder and zip them once or twice, and have an easy broken up tobacco to pack. I also like Dark Star cube cut, but just a few zips in the grinder and it also makes for a smooth easy smoke, like less precise cube cuts.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks jitterbugdude and Michael for the replies. Will consider them when choosing a shredder.

Jamban, that shredder that I posted, probably isn't nearly as close to the one that Jitter posted, in quality, nor function. If you are doing very small quantities, it would be ok, but if you are considering growing at all, I would go with the larger one. I will probably pick up the one that Jitter posted also for next year, especially if I don't roll it all into twists.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Understood. I have 2 reasons that i want to get a shredder.
1) To shred whole leaves for the pipe.
2) To shred pipe tobacco for RYO or injection cigarette tubes. This is to help encourage those who smoke cigarettes to smoke more natural and tastier tobacco. (How much or often the shredder will be used for this purpose depends on how well people respond to ready made packs of 20s to replace their commercial cigarettes, or those who want nicer rolling tobacco.)
Not sure if this extra information helps in terms of fine-tuning the recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.