Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My new pipe!

(8 posts)
  1. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Recently, I got interested in Native American ceremonial pipes. After searching through the internet, I finally found this site called Lakota Creations which is owned by a man and his wife who is 5th generation Native American pipe maker. After looking through their stuff, I finally purchased one of their pipes.

Today, I finally got it, assembled the pipe and stem immediately and smoked "Kinni-Kinnick Indian Tobacco Ceremonial Blend" which I also bought with the pipe.

Everything was perfect. Weather was nice, I could hear birds singing nearby and the aroma was so different from other blends I have; it was so relaxing. The tobacco itself smelt like ingredients for traditional Korean medicine. The aroma was fruity a little bit because Native Americans put bear-berry leaves in Kinni-Kinnick blend.
    Smoke was so cool too! No tongue-bite at all, complatamente nada, zilch.

However, there were 2 disappointing elements.

1) Pipe bowl is freakin' small. God Jesus.... it would have been so much better if the bowl diameter was a little bit bigger...

2) The artists used redwood for the stem and the particular taste of the wood somehow modifies the taste of tobacco.. it somehow reminded me of cigarettes.. (yuck!!!)

But those are the only aspects that I didn't like. Other than that, it's a beautiful work of art.

I hope I could get a bigger bowl in the future.... and hopefully, taste of redwood will soon fade away.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Very cool! I would like to know how the tobacco tastes smoked from a briar pipe.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

That is a really small one......that's what she said.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the design of the bowl, wonder if I could carve one from briar w/larger bowl

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe, what material was used for making the bowl?

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That looks great! The taste will never go away from the redwood, the oils in it are pretty much forever. With that said though, it will absorb some of the tobacco you smoke in it and take on a new taste, which will not be tobacco or redwood, but new.

@yohanan, traditional American People pipes are usually made of pipe stone but can be wood, cob or light clay. This one looks like pipe stone.

I like that the artist didn't go overboard on the ornamentation, it is more traditional. The Sioux Nation made pieces that had a beauty of function. Wive is descended from Oglala Lakota.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting pipe!
    Perhaps the bowl is small because the Native Americans wanted to keep their ceremonies short. (All ceremonies I have ever been to were much too long.)

Here's some Wikipedia info on Pipestone for those interested.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've seen a few of those on Ebay ,also kits for making your own pipestone pipe. You could get another stem to use for smoking,perhaps a Churchwarden stem.

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred, chasingembers, leafsmoker