PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I commissioned a Canadian from Scottie Piersel and it's an elegant beauty! Here are the pictures that she sent me today.

Length: 8.5" Width: 1.45" Height:1.875" Chamber .78" x 1.81" conical Weight: 50 grams
ec1iH6A.jpg

m4N5pz3.jpg

xHQyKyv.jpg

RwZWOwc.jpg

GhxHX8i.jpg

ytMhP00.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
sablebrush52:
Because this is a Canadian pipe you will only be allowed to smoke it with peckinpahhombre at his estate, or together with any of the Forum's other northern neighbors. Also, while enjoying it you must remember to periodically add "eh?" to your conversation.
Ms. Piersel DOES have a way with wood, eh? A lovely pipe. Here's hoping it's a good smoker and companion!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sable, what a wonderful pipe. I love the lines on it, Scottie did a masterful job on the shank. Does this pipe have the steel (aluminum?) shank insert she uses to reinforce her thin shanked pipes?
I am really starting to warm up to Scottie's blasting technique, she gets some wonderful relief without blasting the crap out of her stummels.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
-- Pat

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Would you be so kind as to provide an overview of how frequently she travels to Europe to hand select briar, how see stores it and how see treats it, proprietarily, after shaping? She is a new carver, after all!
:rofl:
Nice pipe.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I travel to Europe to visit my suppliers every other week and only come home on Wednesdays to feed my kids dinner. I store all of my briar in a cryogenic freezer as to preserve it's freshness............Really
:laughat:
90% percent of my briar comes from another pipemaker who is a good friend of mine. It is all well seasoned before I get it from him. The rest comes from Makis and is given time to acclimate before I use it.
I will only divulge my finishing secrets after you buy a pipe :wink:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Scottie makes a damn fine looking, and smoking, pipe. Enjoy it with many fond memories.

banjo

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Dang, that's a pretty pipe, sablebrush52!
Long and elegant. I bet it'll be a good, cool smoker.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Scottie makes some of the best thin long shanks in the business!
Enjoy it!
Nice Work Scottie!

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
It is a Carnelian Juma stem. Nate King sent me a bit of it a while back and I fell in love with it. In the past month I have gone through a foot of the stuff and will be ordering more soon.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Would you be so kind as to provide an overview of how frequently she travels to Europe to hand select briar, how see stores it and how see treats it, proprietarily, after shaping? She is a new carver, after all!
Scottie's being modest. She grows her own briar, mills it, and cuts it.
But there are some other things that she does that I respect. Scottie's stem and button work is top notch. One of the things that I noticed before I bought my first pipe from her is the way she carves the bit, button and the airway opening. The slot is very like the patented Barling design, a wide, low rectangle with smoothly curving ends, not easy to reproduce. That indicated to me right at the start that Scottie has chops. I'd read favorable reports of her pipes from others. But none of this was enough to encourage me to take a chance on her.
What got me off the fence was something different. Scottie shows the attitude and approach to her craft that I respect and that I look for in craftspeople. I've been a successful artist/craftsman for over 50 years, 38 of them (so far) in the film and TV business. In that time I've seen all manner of posers, artistes, enfant terribles, geniuses, and other forms of blowhard. In that time I've also seen a great many who approach their craft with an attitude of humility, straightforwardness, concentration, and a desire to do their best and to grow. Scottie's contributions in the pipemaker's forum showed me that she had the right approach and attitude toward her work, and THAT"S what impelled me to try out her pipes. Scottie cares about doing the best work that she can, is constantly looking to improve, and is genuinely concerned with providing her clientele her best efforts. And she does this at a very affordable price. Scottie stated that she believes it's important to give her customers a good value.
Back to the Canadian. Scottie also used a conical chamber drill, which has the benefit of concentrating flavors in the virginias, which I favor. This also has the benefit of providing more robust structure at the area of the shank transition into the bowl where it is most needed and where a lot of pipes fail over time. BTW, Von Erck does the same thing.
Scottie also employs a steel insert in the shank to further increase structural strength and which has the added benefit of providing a smooth flow for the smoke and a very easy surface to keep clean. It eliminates the whole mortise swamp. The steel tube becomes a reverse tenon over which the stem is attached. The airway is properly funneled to spread out the smoke. The surfaces are polished out
I want to thank Mr Pond, the sort of quiet erudite fellow who doesn't laugh at his own bon mots and who wouldn't ever consider dropping his diapers and taking a dump on another's breakfast, for for encouraging me to offer my reasons for commissioning this pipe from Scottie. I'm sure that the erudite Pond will be more than happy to share his encyclopedic knowledge and explain chamber geometry and its effect of combustion and flavor.
BTW, I also have another pipe coming from Scottie, this one a gourd calabash fitted with both meerschaum and briar bowls. It won an award at the Kansas City Pipe Show for best non briar pipe.
Oh, and before you ask, Mr. Pond, Scottie did grow the gourds in order to make the calabash.
Most importantly, Scottie, thanks for the beautiful pipe!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Gorgeous! I'm surprised how much I love the orange stem - it goes really well with the finish and the nicely proportioned white band.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, what a wonderful pipe. I love the lines on it, Scottie did a masterful job on the shank. Does this pipe have the steel (aluminum?) shank insert she uses to reinforce her thin shanked pipes?
I am really starting to warm up to Scottie's blasting technique, she gets some wonderful relief without blasting the crap out of her stummels.
It does have the steel tube reinforcement. This also makes the pipe really easy and fast to clean. Scottie had just bought a new blasting nozzle which she used on this pipe.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"Scottie also employs a steel insert in the shank to further increase structural strength and which has the added benefit of providing a smooth flow for the smoke and a very easy surface to keep clean. It eliminates the whole mortise swamp. The steel tube becomes a reverse tenon over which the stem is attached. The airway is properly funneled to spread out the smoke. The surfaces are polished out."
An interesting and positive adaptation of the Dunhill aluminum Inner Tube!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm afraid I know Scottie personally, and I can't let this stand.
Her pipes are quite nice, true, but they are made by her kids. They are two, four, and six years old, and she keeps them chained in her garage cranking out pipes twenty hours a day, seven days a week. Think Apple's iPhone factory in China x 10. The poor things get tossed a cold Big Mac and a cup of tepid water a day, and don't see daylight for months at a time.
So, like the PIPES, but don't get taken in by the (outwardly) sweet woman who stamps her name on them.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"The poor things get tossed a cold Big Mac..."
Great heavens, she feeds them McDonalds food??? In most jurisdictions that could be regarded as child abuse! If she will instead give them Jersey Mike's submarine sandwiches (cold or hot), then I promise not to report her, particularly if the quality of her kids' work is as good as I am led to believe that it is. :)

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
George is such a trouble maker!! I don't feed my kids McDonalds food...I feed them In A Tub :lol:
And I only work them 18 hours a day. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.