PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, I just got one of thesePeterson lighters but it won't light. I filled it up with butane and checked the flint, it seems to be fine. When I strike the lighter I don't see any sparks coming off it.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

Thanks

Reactions: Littlepipe

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
811IxyRQsZL._SX355_.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi, I am assuming you bought it new? If so then I would contact Mysmokingshop.com and speak to them. You will find they are great people to do business with and if indeed it is faulty they will replace it no problems.
Regards,
Jay.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah, change the flint ... or better yet, just send it back altogether and ask for another one. If there are no sparks upon striking the flint on the rough surface it may just be a flint problem, they forgot to put one there, or the flint came off (I know they use those dark soft flints, that may break or come off). My experience with these lighters is that the sparks are quite visible when you strike it. ... it's under warranty, I wouldn't mess with it, just send it back.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Damn, I was holding it backwards lol, it works fine
Had the same problem with my Old Boy when I first got it. Was turning the striker the wrong way. :oops:

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Remember, the stem goes in your mouth, both tobacco and fire go in the bowl. :lol:

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Remember, the stem goes in your mouth, both tobacco and fire go in the bowl. :lol:

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I never would have fessed up ta that one. But I have learned here I was smoking all wrong. Pipes do smoke longer and nicer if ya put the tobacco in the big hole ! Darn, now I gotta re practice my packing techniques. Ah, flakes work much better now. ;-)

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
LMAO! Yes I facepalmed so hard I almost gave myself a black eye :D
Let's hope I don't burn myself to death with it *fingers crossed*
I don't feel too embarrassed about it actually, it does seem that it would be a much better design if the flint wheel would light the flame when turned the other way. When holding the lighter in my right hand (flame facing left) I want to push to the left with my index finger to light it as pulling right with it feels quite awkward (unless I'm holding it wrong!). I find it easier to light it with my right thumb (striking right) then turn the lighter around.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
A Peterson lighter no worky? It was probably dip-stained. Get some Everclear and clean er' out.

Status
Not open for further replies.