PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Well, my pipe came in yesterday! I finally got my first briar pipe....my first Peterson and I couldn't be more thrilled!
Thanks again to all the members of this forum who helped me, gave me advice and pointed me in the right direction. You guys are awesome!!
I was originally going to go with a System pipe, either a 302 or 303. I decided instead to spend a little extra money and get what I really wanted, what really caught my eye, a Peterson Walnut Spigot 999. This pipe is BEAUTIFUL! I haven't smoked out of it yet, but am planning on a nice bowl tonight.
On top of the Peterson, I also bought a MM Legend, which is the best cob I've ever smoked out of, a czech tool, a cheap folding stand, all the pipe cleaners I could ask for and 4 tobaccos: Lane 1-Q, SPC Mississippi River, Ashton Smooth Sailing and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe blend.
Here is a picture, sorry the quality isn't the best. I had to take the pictures with my cell phone. I also don't know how to "model" a pipe, so I just took a simple picture.

Once again, thanks for all the support and help guys! I'm a very proud member of this forum, and plan on being here for years.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Thats a quality purchase. If you like the Lane 1-Q, give Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dulce a try on your next order.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Now, you did it. It probably won't be the last 999 you buy. It's one of the most popular of Peterson's shapes. It hangs nicely in your mouth. I'm sure you'll love it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
That's a beauty. Your going to enjoy that pipe for years.
I'm a big fan of EMP. It was one of the first blends I tried when starting out and while it wasn't my favorite at the time, I realized there were a ton of flavors going on at once. It kind of lead me down a rabbit hole.
If you come across a blend you don't like, make sure you jar it or give it a go a few months later. Don't toss it! There's a few blends I don't like to smoke till they've been open a bit. You'll be surprised by a blend sometimes when you revist it.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, I don't know if I'll like the EMP or not. It just sounded interesting, figured I'd give it a try. I took a chance with the EMP and Smooth Sailing...
I'll take your advice for sure! Thanks!

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks everyone! I'm very happy about this purchase. I'm now a proud member of the Peterson club! Woo hoo!! :D
I'm a big fan of the way Peterson's look, I love the style. I have a feeling my next pipe just might be another Pete. Maybe not? Who knows?
Either way, it's perfect...I love it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Big congrats to ya - that is a beauty!
I'm a big fan of the way Peterson's look, I love the style.
+1
Peterson's have been getting a (slightly deserved) bad rap on QC, but they still make a damn good pipe.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
I've read some QC complaints, kind of made me worry at first. I still haven't smoked out of the 999 yet, but from examining it it looks great! No flaws that I can see...hopefully everything stays good!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Very nice choice! One of my favorite pipes is a Grafton 999. Seems like the perfect size for a comfortable, morning smoke. I hope you enjoy it!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My first real pipe was a Peterson. I waffled between the 999 and the 80s (I went with the bulldog), but I do remember how excited I was to try it out. Congrats.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's the shape I love, I wanted to get a green spigot but stock issues kept my wallet in my pocket. Enjoy your first real briar, she's a beaut!

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
I love the shape too! My next pipe might be a straight billiard, or something along those lines. Maybe another Peterson, or maybe a nice Stanwell or Savinelli. Maybe even a custom piece from Joe Case or Jake Hackert or something. Who knows...only time will tell!

Status
Not open for further replies.