PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just snagged this from Dave Neeb's Site.
I've been looking passively for about six months for the magical "birth year" pipe, but had mostly given up because I was not willing to part with the asking prices. Prior to this, 75 clams was the most I had ever relinquished for a pipe. At twice that, this is still small potatoes for many of you, but I'm happy. :puffy:
I usually do a poop-ton of research before buying, but I liked this one and invested faith in my fellow forum member.
So, look it over and tell me the good and bad. I'm open to learning all about it. Dave tells me it's a no stinger model and is drilled well.
dunhill1-600x450.jpg

dunhill2-600x450.jpg

dunhill3-600x450.jpg

dunhill4-600x450.jpg

dunhill5-600x450.jpg

Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I had one just like it. They are very nice for what they are, although some might say they are somewhat small. A very classy look, in my opinion. And if you got it for under $200, I'd say you've done alright!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congrats on the birth year Dunhill Jay!
That one looks to be in great shape. I have one from 1966 (I think?... I'm not at home now). Mine is a group 3.

Keep in mind this will be a small pipe. I had a bit of learning curve to smoke mine. Don't be too quick to judge it's smoking capabilities........ if you are used to larger pipes it will smoke different. I really love mine now- a joy to smoke.
I've found that mine loves flakes, and sliced ropes...... the strong ones..... :D
The 90 is a shape that's been in the Dunhill line-up since the early days, but yet they don't seem too common. Not rare, but not seen often. I'd say you got a fair price for that one, and like Harleys, it will hold its value.
If its your first Dunhill, don't be too quick to dismiss it (Dunhills) as a poor smoker---- it won't smoke like a group 4 Dunhill pipe. That was my experience anyways............ I was a bit disappointed with mine at first, but give her time, she'll come 'round........ :puffy:

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Congrats Jay! I too got my birth year (59) from Dave's site. Can't go wrong with that choice.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, all.
From the consensus, it sounds like a 15 minute ribbon smoke or maybe a 30 minute half flake smoke.
Should make a decent travel pipe, I suppose.
jay-roger.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You will love it. Small flakes and 30 minutes smokes. It’s a great size pipe and in good shape. Enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great big bowl, nice lithe lines, a sophisticated poker, and a sitter to boot. What's not to like? Happy birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.