PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
A few weeks ago I got curious about these blends as I've never tried them before. Since then, I've picked up a few ounces of each and am seriously beginning to wondering if GH makes anything that is not awesome?
Bob's Chocolate Flake has immediately become one of the best tobaccos I've ever smoked. That blend has every characteristic I look for in a quality tobacco. I won't get in to a full review right now, but I will say that two bowls (that a member here was kind enough to let me sample) resulted in my pulling the trigger on a 500g box.
I'm also enjoying Kendall Kentucky, Dark Flake, Kendall Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, and have a few ounces of Ennerdale I haven't tried yet. The Lakeland flavor reputation is there, more so with the Ennerdale I hear, but I've found that I really do enjoy the old essence that is so love or hate. If you don't mind a good nic hit like me, these tobaccos do not disappoint either. Although I will say that Kendall Kentucky early in the morning is not the smartest idea.
I can see myself working my way through eventually trying majority of the blends GH produces. I'm curious what other fans of this brand think are the best of them.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Ennerdale, Kendal and Louisiana flakes are three of my very favorite smokes, as is Bosun Cut Plug and Balkan Mixture. Great company!

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I just made a topic not too long ago about Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.'s Broken Scotch Cake and how it was my new favorite tobacco. I love it and will be purchasing more from them as soon as I can!

ascarypotato

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I enjoyed some Bob's CF in my bulldog last night. Great stuff. Sadly my pack has dried out a little, so I rubbed it out fully, rather than my usually preferred fold and stuff. Nice and warming on my way to see Alabama 3!

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Can anyone tell me the difference between Gawith/Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith if there is any? A lot of their blends seem to mirror each other and was wondering if they were even both made in the same factory.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Can anyone tell me the difference between Gawith/Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith if there is any? A lot of their blends seem to mirror each other and was wondering if they were even both made in the same factory.
They're separate companies with separate facilities. While similar in their offerings, each has its own distinct style. I find GH tobaccos to be more earthy and they all have a touch of Lakeland scent, even the ones that aren't supposed to be scented. Meanwhile, I find SG tobaccos to have a cleaner flavor profile and the unscented VAs have hardly any trace of Lakeland scent. I like them both.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Nice obsession to have. I've only had a few of their blends but have loved them all. Ennerdale is their top seller and also my favorite all day smoke. I smoke it straight as well as in my own blends. Lately I have wondered about the Louisiana flake. How does it compare to St. James Flake?
I like that most, if not all GH blends are available in bulk.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
bryanf, I didn't like the Louisiana Flake at all until the Lakeland scent, which is considerable, had dissipated. This took several months in the jar. It's a decent VaPer now, but nothing like SJF. I love most of the Gawith flakes, but Louisiana Flake seemed like a decent VaPer ruined by a weird topping.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Get yourself some Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Happy (Brown) Bogie rope unsliced. It's the Shit!!!

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Get yourself some Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Happy (Brown) Bogie rope unsliced. It's the Shit!!!
Totally agree, just got some Brown bogie coffee fired up right now. I think the coffee adds to the striking taste of tobacco. In fact only this morning I was getting the order on for the full bogie range.
Ascarypotato how was Alabama 3? been hooked on them since they released "Exile on Coldharbour Lane". Their music really added to my mischief back then.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
@pitchfork That's disappointing to hear. I am looking for a good straight tasty Vaper Flake that is easy to find in bulk, and has good nicotine content. I liked DDNR but very weak nicotine. I suspect LBF will also have low nicotine. SJF has very good nicotine and flavor, but hard to find in the US in bulk. I was hoping LPF would be a good option, but although I like lakeland flavor, when I crave a VAPER, I want it straight.
What I want is a dark Virginia Perique mix that is strong on all fronts. Too bad about the lakeland flavor in GH LPF.
I will try the Happy Bogie, if anything because I like the name, though in the past I haven't been too keen on ropes. Of course I've only tried a few, so what do i know...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
bryan, I just opened my first tin of SJF and it's fantastic. I think that's clearly your best option (dark, strong, strong in flavor)--- if you can find it.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Agreed. SJF is one of the best smokes I've ever had. I have done a little research and going to throw some GLP triple play into my next order. Looks like it might fit the bill and is available in 8 oz tins. In general, I try to only buy pipe tobacco that comes in bulk, because I don't cellar tins, and finish a 50 gram tin in under a week, easy.
As usual, smoking Ennerdale right now...

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Another nice thing about Gawith & Hoggarth is they are generally available, where the brother't tobacco are not.
Triple Play is very good. If the world were to run out of SJF, that would be my replacement.
The Brown Bogie is not scented, at least the jar I have of it. G&H runs all of their tobacco on the same equipment so everything picks up the scent unfortunately.
If you like Ennerdale, give the RB Plug a try.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Triple Play is amazing stuff. It's got the Kentucky DF in it, so it's not a straight VaPer, but it sings. The Kentucky makes it strong, but the combination of bright VAs and the KDF is really fragrant and tasty. It's especially good after having been open for a few days. After that it's smooth sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.