9 Fresh Radice Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a post a week or so back by a new forum member who turned out to be Bruno Nuttens, French pipemaker. I had a pipe in my watch list on EBay for a while, but was just teetering on the edge of buying it. It was a cute little Dublin with a horn stem. I commented, we exchanged a few pleasantries, and I immediately ordered the pipe. He responded back to my order that he had made a small mistake. The picture of the pipe on EBay was slightly different from the one he had. The horn on the stem was a shade different. I responded back that it wasn't a big deal.

Today, I opened not one, but two new pipes that came pretty darn fast for an order mailed out of France. The note apologized again, and said that the small matching paneled rhode was a gift.

Heck yeah!!

93d30779-30e7-4661-af65-5b273c79a5d6_zpsdzvsi6xu.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of the rhodie bulldogs, much less paneled ones, but a matching set, who could complain about that? The two genres that I collect are bullies and dublins, so this is an excellent serendipity for me.
I'm about to load the Dublin up with some flake and start Breaking in my new Nutten. I will be contacting him for a possible commission.
Happy smokes, y'all. :puffy:

brunonut

Lurker
Jan 20, 2016
Thank you Michael for your message. I hope these two pipes will bring you a lot of fun to smoke :)

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Congratulations! Very nice pair! (I read somewhere that sometimes pipe makers make their pipes as twins - sisters. In real life it is really hard to get twins together at the same time :clap: )

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Beautiful set; I also looked at the posted Website. I really like what I see; traditional shapes that are well executed and inviting finishes.
Mr. Nuttens, it is a pleasure to see that you have joined the forum. Welcome!

brunonut

Lurker
Jan 20, 2016
Because I'm here, I'll give you details :)
for the "custom" serie, as I said on my website, I use old preturned stummels from Saint-Claude. The stems are made from sketched stems (for ebonit and acrylic) or handmade from ebonite, cumberland or acrylic rods (stamped with a star) .
And for hand made pipes, stummels and stems are made entirely by hand :)

Thanks Bruno, I hope that you'll stick around and join us in discussing our favorite hobby. I'm one of the crazy ones here, but I'm shy , ha ha. :wink:

I've enjoyed a couple of bowls of Silver Flake in the Dublin already. It smokes very well.

Is the stem genuine horn on thes two? They seem real.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very nice pipes! Great gesture, Bruno! :clap:
Bruno, I get the impression that most French pipes have a small chamber diameter -- like under 20mm.

Do you make pipes with larger chamber diameters? I think they would be more popular among American & British smokers.
ps. I notice that you are aware of the value of larger draft diameters in the stems, like 4mm. :clap:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
You really got something for Nuttens! Congratulations.
Nice hunter. I was trying to come up with something witty but you already had it covered.
Great set of pipes cosmic. Enjoy. :puffy:

brunonut

Lurker
Jan 20, 2016
@The Pipe Monk : thanks Chris :)
@Cortez : yes, drilling the shank to 4mm is important, stems also are drilled to 4 mm as far as possible, and I reduce to 2.1mm at the bit. The button is also open in V for a better air flow. The thickness of the bit is generally between 3.9 and 4.1mm, except on horn stems which the bit must be thicker (between 4.5 and 5mm).

And of course it is possible to have larger chambers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.