PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I purchased a Neerup classic sandblast from 4noggins earlier this month, as a birthday present to myself. I just recently got around to smoking it. What a great smoking pipe! I've smoked both Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (cube cut) and H&H Anniversary Kake out of it. The smoke stayed cool, the draw felt effortless. I only needed the 1 relight on the PS LNF.
The taste hasn't been great, but I'm not worried. Once seasoned, I'm sure this pipe will be my best smoker. Do any of you have experience with Neerups, or other pipes (that won't break the bank) that are great smokers? I paid around $90 for this pipe

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I love my Neerups and both smoke really well (once broken in) with an open draw. I'd like to get a few more, but I'll continue focussing on my TAD acquisitions.
-Jason

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
murf - Happy BDay. Have heard good things about Neerup - I think the NYC PC had an event with the maker visiting them. Next Morley's, I hope to see that new pipe.
hp

les

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Neerup's are the only briars the local B&M sells, well aside from Grabow's and basket pipes. I haven't seen any I've liked, but I never took the time to look at them all. Would you recommend a neerup?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I also have a classic Neerup, which I picked up a couple of months ago. It did need break in time. It is a wonderful smoking pipe.

wolf666

Lurker
Jun 22, 2013
My Mrs bought me a classic back from uptown in Nashville a couple of months ago its a great smoke and to be honest ive never broke it in I keep looking for another now but living in the UK its virtually inpossible to find one :cry: :puffpipe:

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Shayde,
From what I've seen, Neerup doesn't really have the "classic" pipe look. It's more of a freehand, giant type of pipe line. When I bought my first pipe almost 2yrs ago, I probably wouldn't have even considered the Neerup that I just bought.
the neerup I have has a deep chamber, really thick walls, and is a sitter. I really like the grain on it, it's got a great feel in my hand, and it's a lot lighter than it looks. The tenon fits perfectly into the shank (not too tight, not too loose). It passes a pipe cleaner easily when assembled (just might need a twist on the cleaner).
After starting this thread, I was just browsing through more Neerup pipes. hadn't found any that I liked for my price range. and of course, started wandering into other pipes. And 2hrs, gone! just like that.
I'm satisfied with my current pipe collection, so it will (read: should) be awhile before my next pipe purchase. But, when I'm ready for another, Neerup might be the first pipe line I check
100_1875-600x451.jpg

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I bought an estate Grabow from a buddy on the forums and I'm buying a clay churchwarden today. I've been looking at buying a brand new briar, but I don't want to buy one online and all the dealer sells really are Neerups. I had never heard of them before seeing them in the store, so I didn't know if they were any good or not. Your description of yours has raised my interest in them and I will definitely be checking the different shapes out when I go to buy my clay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Murf and voorhees, those are among the finest looking Neerups I've seen, the best traits, with the

unique bands, big bowls, and proportionality that not all Neerups have. I don't like the ones that

have the great big bowls with the wispy stems, even with the nice bands. I always look at Neerups,

but never pull the trigger. Some pipes take a long time time to break in. It's not a good trait, but

it can be rewarding if things keep getting better. Most of my Petes have broken in right on schedule.

However, a Peterson Kapet author took a long time. I bought it about a year and a half or two ago,

and it smoked well right away, but it didn't have that solid, even-smoking, nice draw that a well broken

in pipe has. Last night I was smoking some Sutliff Great Outdoors, a blend with uneven sized leaf, and

I'd chosen the author as a broad bowl to get things burning evenly. And there it was! The pipe was

there! Broken in at last. Rewarding, if requiring more patience than I actually have.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
mso489, my Neerup is deceiving with its bowl size(in pictures). It is approx. .75 width and 1.25 in depth. Smaller than most of my pipes. BUT, it smokes great and is a great jaw hanger. Perfect feel in hand as well.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Voorhees, the shank on yours is definitely thicker than mine. What a great lookin pipe! mso, I was a little apprehensive about the size of the shank on mine, but decided to take a chance on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.