My New Meershaum - Circa 1905? with Pics!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
As some of you know, I've been researching meers, and I've been eyeing this one on ebay for the past week. The seller knew very little about it. Considering my current financial situation, I wasn't even going to bid, but I decided to go for it at the very last minute (picked up for just over $50)
meer-profile.jpg

From what I can tell, it's a Sommer from France. About 5.75" in length. The dates on the "ostrich leather" case say 1878, 1889 & 1900. So I am thinking it's pre-1910. My guess is that it's an African meer due to the very slight discoloration. The bowl looks pristine:
meer-bowl.jpg

The other cool thing is the stem, which I am guessing is genuine amber (bakelite wasn't invented until 1907)
There's two issues. One is a minor chip on the bulldog rings of the bowl which I am not worried about and the other issue is the stem is a loose fit.
meer-tenon.jpg

The original owner wrapped it in a bit of paper to keep it in. Very curious what the fix on that might be (if you have suggestions, I am all ears).
Very excited about this purchase. The owner(s) must have cherished this pipe for it to be in such good condition. I just hope it's all that I expect it to be. Will let you know how it smokes once it is received!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I don't have the answer to any of your questions, but did just want to say congratulations -- that is a BEAUTIFUL pipe.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Great find, really classical, fits you , I"m glad for you, drank a shot of whiskey in your beautiful Vermont mug , use it on special occasions,Enjoy and I second Roth about Mr Wolf, fine man always has time to talk to a fellow piper. The old cajun

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys - really appreciate all the warm wishes. Roth - thanks for the advice too. I sent my Gresham Giant to Dave and should receive it this week.
I will likely send this to him, seems worth the investment - but hate the thought of not seeing it for 2-3 weeks. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.