PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Been waiting for this for a while. I found it in my mailbox tonight and can't wait to try it out.
20151128_164313_zpskv6vzmwp.jpg

20151128_164301_zpsbv7u46l3.jpg

20151128_164332_zpsnj2un8mx.jpg

20151128_164401_zps8e0k8ova.jpg

I have some cleaning to do; and I would like to do something with the stem to restore it a little. I will have to do some digging around for pointers and tips.
Anybody know how to date this?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
So far as I know you cannot date a kawoodie exactly. Odds are it was made sometime in the 60s to early 70s. That shape number ended in 72. White briars were made from 51 to 89 but the logo is the style of the 60s and 70s.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
This is so light, it weighs less than an ounce!
I will find my calipers and get some measurements.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
The pipe is 5 3/4 long, 1 9/16 tall, and 1 1/4 wide at the top of the bowl. The stem is oval - 9/16 wide and 7/16 tall at the joint. The bowl is conical with 3/4 at the top, 9/16 at the bottom, and 1 1/4 deep. It weighs. 97 oz / 27.4 g - less than my morning coffee beans.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
What a joy! This is so light, even packed full, that I can easily smoke it with no hands. The balance is just right in the palm as well. This is a pretty effortless smoke.
I tried it out with a VaPer and it played it well. No relights, minimal tamping, and nice even pulls. Perfect little sipper.
Now, about that stinger, what is the purpose of that?? I had to pull the stem and sling the moisture out a few times. I guess I could have swabbed it with a pipe cleaner too. I don't have this issue witn my other pipes. Is there something I need to be doing differently for this pipe?
Overall it is a great little pipe!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow. I'm impressed. It's a pipe with some wear, but the white finish has really kept its color. So much that I first thought it might be a meerschaum, until someone mentioned finding some quality wood under a similar finish. That should take a restoration with a lot of style. I have a much more recent Drinkless, and after I got the stem cranked around square, I have enjoyed it, the only stinger type device pipe I smoke. A Forums member advised me to use a hair dryer to heat the stem and ease the stem into position, which worked to perfection.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
3 holes came in to use just after WW2. I would gurss they were used through the 70s. I believe from the 80s onward they stopped using stingers.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Now, about that stinger, what is the purpose of that?? I had to pull the stem and sling the moisture out a few times. I guess I could have swabbed it with a pipe cleaner too. I don't have this issue witn my other pipes. Is there something I need to be doing differently for this pipe?
The purpose of the stinger is to condense moisture out of the smoke. The fact that you had to clear it several times means the stinger is doing exactly what it's designed to do.
In theory this is supposed to result in a dryer cooler smoke, in practice the result is usually a pipe that smokes wet, and gurgles constantly. Hence many estate Kaywoodies have the stinger chopped off.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I have one, a 187. Gonna fire it up now. I have a white briar billiard also.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Well, here's an ad from a 1952 Life Magazine with similar looking pipes.
I've got the vest pocket white briar, second row, second from left. I never did get the mataching white tux and red tie though.
kaywoodie%20life%201952_zpsjmmyxi5l.jpg

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I need to look up all the kaywoodie models and get more familiar with them. I have a white briar full bent billard, maybe apple or egg, and a bulldog on the way. I am on a kaywoodie kick!

Status
Not open for further replies.