PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks for the great comments!

I've smoked two bowls so far and it's an awesome smoker.

Chris in RD AB

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Always nice when a fellow Canucklehead gets a good one....... even if he's from Alberta. lol
You mean there are other parts to Canada???

I thought Alberta WAS Canada??

dang...and all this time!
LOL Just kiddin! :)
Very cool pipe. Is the stem comfortable?
Yes it is very comfortable, but I'm a new guy so can only compare to my other pipes.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Home of the finest rot-gut whiskey on the planet!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
IMP is the best meerschaum brand you can own.
It was not at the market, now, is is available for sale at MeerschaumMarket com
So, the pipes we've been buying for around $100 usd, we can now buy at the market for $350 excluding shipping and import duties? It seems bizarre that undecorated IMP's are priced at twice what you are asking for a highly carved Tekin.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
You mean there are other parts to Canada???

I thought Alberta WAS Canada??

dang...and all this time!
We all know the rest of Canada is really just an extension of the Greater Toronto Area.
So, the pipes we've been buying for around $100 usd, we can now buy at the market for $350 excluding shipping and import duties? It seems bizarre that undecorated IMP's are priced at twice what you are asking for a highly carved Tekin.
I have recently been looking at meerschaums ever since blueeyedogre posted about his small refurbished meer. The pricing is really confusing to me. Some import shops are selling decent looking products from block meer (purportedly) for $250.
I'm sure to some extent the price difference reflects quality, similar to briar pipes, but I have no idea to what extent that applies. There's a pretty great looking little meer on ebay I have my eye on for $50 bucks that I might just take a punt on. Too bad shipping is $36...

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
As Meerqueen brand our list prices are same as IMP Pipes.Because We have been using the grade 6/6 premium grade block meerschaum and briar type teflon tenon connection with acrylic stem.Also the pipes are signed and workmanship grade is also 6/6.
What we do now is that we apply up to 50-60% discount for Meerqueen pipes.
By the way All exclusive tekin pipes are made for Meerqueen brand.
To be honest for such a quality meerschaum pipes the price of 300-400$ is not much.when you compare the meerschaum with briar, the meerschaum pipes deserve the higher prices as from mining to end of the production there are many steps and effort and labor.

Regards,

Bahadir

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Drezz, Take a look at the picture below.

That pipe cost me $129.95 before tax and shipping purchased from a Vancouver B&M.
When I was looking for another Meerschaum pipe I contacted A Vancouver area B&M that advertised that they had Meers, carved from single blocks of Meerschaum. I requested pictures and asked if they could please tell me who the maker was or the manufacturer and I asked if it was a miniature Meerschaum, since it was priced at $129.95. She said no it isn't a miniature, it is a full sized pipe. But in fact it is a smaller sized Meerschaum pipe as I was to find out.

The picture below is the picture they sent me of the pipe I was waiting for information on.

I even phoned them and spoke with someone in customer support. They assured me they would find out who the manufacturer was and let me know. We all want a hand carved Meerschaum from a solid block of Meerschaum, not a pipe made from Meerschaum paste. (What I call it) This went on for 3 weeks. They told me that they could not find out any information on whom the manufacturer of the pipe was but assured me it was made from a single block of the highest quality Meerschaum.
I bought it. It looks nice in the picture right?

Well when it arrived and I took it out of the box I was surprised. The stems were cheaper quality than what is found on my stock MM cobs. They didn't fit. They were loose and gaps where they fit the block. That pipe cost me $129.95 + tax + shipping. I did not handle the pipe other than to turn it over and examine it. I then went digging. After a lot of searching I found what I think is the identical or similar Meerschaums at pipe discount stores in a number of locations online ranging in price from $20.00 to $45.00.

I wrote the B&M in Vancouver and asked if I could return the pipe and they were kind enough to allow me to return it. But here is what I think. I could be wrong, but after being told that they checked with their suppliers and could find no make or manufacturer information about the pipe, I have come to the following conclusion. The pipe was made from Meerschaum by products, not a single block of hand carved Meerschaum. The B&M went on line and bought a bunch of these pipes from an online retailer at the prices I listed above and then put them for sale with about a 200% mark up. Back in 1973 when I lived in Grande Cache, Alberta, there was a little clothing store in town. Actually at the time, it was the only clothing store in town besides the ever ubiquitous Hudson Bay Company store. One weekend outing in Edmonton with the wife I was surprised to see the owner of that clothing store in a K-Mart store buying up racks of clothing off the K-Mart shelves. Then it dawned on me what they he was doing. Buying cheap K-Mart goods, taking them back to Grande Cache, retagging them, and selling them at about a 200% mark-up.
Again trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the B&M in Vancouver but I will never, ever buy anything from them again.
Here is one such link.

http://www.turkishmeerschaumpipes.com/meerschaum_pipe.php?hareket=plain

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Yikes! That's quite the experience! I have noticed that an awful lot of the Meer pipes on eBay state that they are carved from block - probably an unreasonable amount of them at that! As much as I love to support my local B&M when possible, they don't really have much knowledge about pipes which can be kind of infuriating - especially when they try to tell me information that I know for a fact is incorrect. They once tried to sell me a pipe as 'brand new' when a quick sniff and a finger in the bowl revealed that to be quite untrue. Maybe the clerk honestly didn't know but it would be nice to think the store operators would inform themselves about their own products.
Glad you were able to get a refund on the pipe but it still sounds like one heck of a run-around. I guess a guy should really find a brand to trust and stay away from the bargains that seem too good to be true.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Here it is again:

There is no pressed meerschaum pipes for along time.all pipes are from block meerschaum BUT

they have grades.probably the pipe that you have purchased is look like that it is made of lower grade block meerschaum.

The workmanship grade is also low.

That kind of pipe should have a price around 50$

Also just a few company uses briar type teflon tenon connection on their meerschaum pipes.

So what i suggest you if you look a quality meerschaum pipe you have only 2-3 choices.thats is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.