wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
grabow-5-600x305.jpg

grabow-4-600x400.jpg

grabow-3-600x400.jpg

grabow-2-600x400.jpg

grabow-1-600x400.jpg

These are my first 3 Dr Grabow's, a Crown Duke and 2 Viscounts one being smooth. Getting hold of Grabow's in the UK is near impossible so i am well pleased with these 3. I know they are classed as cheap drugstore pipes and not handcrafted top of the range but for some reason this brand jumped out at me,i have also been looking at the history of Grabows and learning quite a bit.Hope you like them, these are ebay pics because 2 of them i didn't win till last night.
Wiz
Edited by jvnshr: Pic links fixed.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Don't know why the pics haven't come up,thought i had done it right.
Wiz

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Congrats on finding some. There is nothing wrong with loving a brand and their pipes, regardless of what they are "classed," so don't worry about that. You'll find many Dr. Grabow fans, and I am personally a fan of Kaywoodie Pipes, despite the fact that some don't agree that they are great pipes. Enjoy these.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Congrats, Wiz! Smoke the pipes and tobacco that you like, let everyone else smoke what they like, and you'll be quite the happy man.

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I currently own 4 Grabows and love each of them. They are great smokers, and if I want more all I have to do is drive down the road and pick one out. Enjoy!

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks guys appreciate the input though still trying to figure out how i messed up with the pictures lol
Wiz

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Cheers guys and ofc your right,for some reason i just liked the look of my first Grabow right from the start, i think the smooth Viscount is my favourite with it been my first proper briar wood pipe.Your probably right Crash i most pressed the wrong button,story of my life lol and thanks for putting them up properly Mike i appreciate it :)
Wiz

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Although I've only been a full time pipe smoker about 3 yrs, I do have quite a few estate pipes, among those are several Grabows.

Even the aluminum sleeved/tenon filter grabows smoke terrifically. (I don't use any filter, either.)

A couple of the older ones are favorites, and the one my son gave me, which is one of the Duke series.
R.I.P. Mr. E. James, one of our most knowledgeable and generous Grabow enthusiasts who passed this year.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
First off i would like to thank jvnshr for fixing the links that i must of messed up. I am constantly searching for Dr Grabow pipes here in the UK but can't find any anywhere except the smooth Viscount pictured above,they are almost non existant over here.The other 2 which i won on ebay on Sunday night are from Lithuania and were pretty cheap at £10 each plus postage. I have seen loads from sellers in the States with reasonable shipping but they are adding import tax which takes what i am willing to pay way over.I spent a couple of hours last night on the show off your Grabows thread and read some of the things Mr E James knew about Grabows and was actually awestruck at his knowledge.I would like to offer my condolences to his family and friends and may he RIP.
Wiz

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Very nice Grabows. I particularly like the wire-carved Viscount. Nobody wire-carved better than Grabow in Sparta...and that was done by hand across a very heavy steel brush-wheel. One slip and your hand is wire-carved. They stopped wire-carving maybe 25 or so years ago.
I won't rant for too long...but Grabow gets a bad name...more because of their PRICE than anything else. I don't see many true pipe snobs here, but there are plenty of forums (and smoke shops) where Grabow is disregarded as a cheap drugstore / production pipe. Grabow briar blocks go across a frazing machine in a production environment (just as standard shapes made by our well-known high-end pipes get their initial shaping done with similar machines), and then are taken through just as many steps...most being BY HAND...as other much more expensive pipes. All the carving you see on Grabows (including your Crown Duke above) is done using a very simple cutting tool which the craftsman himself makes...and then runs the pipe bowl against it by hand to get the carving he wants...thus, every single Grabow carved pipe is unique. Stem fitment is all done by humans, using the same kinds of sanding methods that expensive pipe makers use. I've been in the factory a dozen times, and have shared much of the tour via video on Youtube. I will tell you something that I was told by a high-up member of Grabow management...if Grabow didn't receive the revenue they get from filters and other accessories...they would go UNDER...because they barely make a nickel on a pipe...selling new ones to us for 30-35 bucks. If they had never set the price point which they have over the years, they'd make more margin, have a better reputation with some, but...a lot of blue collars would be stuck with fewer choices...and Grabow has always been a 'working mans' pipe.
That wasn't meant for the majority of you...just for those who needed to hear it...LOL.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks guys appreciate it.@joeman,i thought that Viscount was pretty new by the look of it, i never imagined it to be over 25 years old.Is there a way of knowing the rough age of the other 2 ?,and if you could give me a link to the Sparta video's i would be really grateful.I am wanting to learn as much as i can about them,i find it really interesting :)
Wiz

Status
Not open for further replies.