Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan (forum member -bluesmk)and I started talking a little while back about a pipe that I could design a band for, a narrow but tall chamber, smooth dublin, blue stem. The conversation went back to me making a remark about how I really enjoy a tall narrow chamber to really focus in on the changing flavors of a Virginia as it stoves in the pipe. So, I struck up a deal with Dan to make me something in these regards he sent me pictures of some pipes that he had made for himself, which showed an amazing talent for chasing that straight grain.
This is my New Gabrieli.
gabe1.jpg

He also made this tamp out of the same wood from the stummel, which fits this .7" x 2" chamber very well.
gabe2.jpg

I loved being able to break this in with no bowl coating. I really feel like I am bonding with the briar that way. Taking it slow yesterday as I smoked two half bowls in it, which were still both over an hour, ha ha. The bore and the chamber size really work well for my favorite style of smoking, which is just to get it going and then forgetting about it, just savoring the flavors, like chewing gum, and a stacked chamber is "double your pleasure, double your fun."
megabe.jpg

It has that total attention to detail that you only get in an artisan made pipe. Perfect finish, curved and formed bowl rim with the birdseye grain showing. l It has a nice hang to it, goes with a planter's hat, enjoying a Virginia, McClelland's Red Cake with a little age on it, sweet iced tea. I did not have to relight the pipe, except in instances where I had to walk into a store, which I just slipped the pipe into my pocket. Pull it back out when business is done, Zippo, puff, I'm on my way, and forget about it again.
I love the way Dan makes his bit, very narrow and takes the weight of the pipe well. Now, I have to design a band for it. Dan does great work. Hit him up if you want to check out his work. Good guy to work with.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on your new pipe, Michael. I only know Dan through the forums, and haven't had a chance to put eyes and hands on his pipes, but others who have report that they are well made. Your pipe has lovely lines and I agree that Dan played to the grain really well. I can't wait to see the band you put on it.
Cheers,
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That is a great looking pipe. I would have thought it a bit heavier but obviously it is light. I know papipeguy has a few Gabrielli's and says they are all great smokers. I hope you get many great decades of smoking out of yours.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Beautiful pipe, cosmic. I plan on speaking to Dan about making a bulldog for my next Gabrieli. He lives about 10 minutes from me and we speak often. I can tell you that he obsesses over every detail of his pipes like they are his children.

That blue stem on yours looks very cool. Happy Smoke Rings with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fine looking pipe. I like the simplicity of it, and of course the grain. Don't know whether it's a Dublin,

a stack, or a chimney. I'd call it a tall Dublin.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Thank you gentlemen. That pipe when finnished came in at just 49 grams, yes it is light for it's size. I feel it's a testiment to the cutter who's technique with proper aging, produces a superior product.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
That is a beautiful set! The tamp really adds the finishing touch to a very classy pipe. Love the grain. Like others said, I can't wait to see it with your silver touch.

The hat keeps the bowl from getting too hot in this Alabama blazing sun, ha ha.
As far as bulldogs go, I really see them as an opportunity for the artist to "play" with the idea. Two cones and a diamond shank. I get most excited when one part gets exaggerated or something that really makes the pipe shine. Even trying to get birdseye on one side and grain on the other stands out to me. I think that whether it is a tall bulldog or a fat one depends on what I want to smoke in it, tall of my Virginias and fat for my mixes, Balkans, Haddos, etc...
That bulldog that you posted looks great. I bet Dan could chase out some wonderful grain patterns with that one.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Well John, you said "Rhodesian" What you have there is classic "Bulldog". Something like this has been floating in my head:
FH02351MainF.jpg

dream-pipe-rad-davis-rhodesian

Well chat, it's your call.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy: crap don't know why the other 2 didn't show ttl going to CI scratch & dent sale

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice set! I love the colors in that stem. Hard to beat the looks of a nice Dublin.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Very nice work Dan! And congrats on the beautiful pipe Mike. That tamper is pretty sweet too. Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.