Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

My New French Briar Pipe

(21 posts)
  1. londonmake

londonmake

Login to Send PM

French pipe makers do some great work. Here's a shape thats not easy to execute well.
    This is a Jeantet, with just a few fills that are hidden very well. Unsmoked and very affordable...

Anybody else out there who appreciate french briar?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always had a "thing" for panels, though never bought one. Maybe one of these days I will...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't have that brand but have a BC & a Chacom.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

looks like a good smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love panels and 4-squares, have 3 or 4. The Dunhill panel billiards from the 50s and 60s are especially fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Jeantet that is very similar. It’s a panelled pocket size pipe. Fantastic smoker for me, I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. tonypuff

tonypuff

Login to Send PM

I have a handful of great smoking French pipe: Ropp, Jobey, Parker and a couple GBD to name a few....

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

French pipes were always too small for my use, but that is a very attractive panel.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

Jeantet was an old brand of pipe (since 1775), very good, we still find new ones in stock, but since
    the year 2000 the brand was taken over by Chacom which now manufactures the current Jeantet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

That's a very good looking octagonal Jeantet. I have a couple of Chacoms and they're fine smokers. Especially after removing the stingers, that didn't do much good IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of French pipes. Usually, (but not always) I'm a very slow smoker. The modest dimensions of many French pipes suit me well.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Among others French make I have had 3 Jeantets made by Chacom and they did offer fantastic price/quality ration and were my choice for smoking ribbon and shag cut tobaccoes, very lightweight and well finished, especially I liked the briar quality and in all probability will buy one of these again in the coming years.There is one vendor in France where one can still find these, La Pipe.fr

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a French pipe maker booster. I remind people that the French made briar the standard pipe material and created most of the classic traditional shapes we associate with English pipes. The somewhat tight knit pipe making community in France has a strong competitive tradition and almost always exceeds their price points in quality. I have Butz-Choquin, Choquin, Chacom, Genod, Ropp, and Villiard. Someone mentioned Parker; I thought that was English made, but many pipes seem to have some of the work done in France or Italy these days. I think new pipe smokers do well to buy French pipes because they are dependably well made, or anyone else for that matter. The French do great panel pipes around other shapes, lovely work. Remember smaller bowls, if that's what you have, give a full-length smoke with flake, plug, coin or rope, and are great for shorter smokes with loose cut.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

I think it's because originally it was a lot of small, almost family craft factories, because in this area of St.Claude in the Jura there was a tradition of woodworking at home. winter when everything was frozen.

So these small factories had to do some neat work to survive the competition, even today they are not big industrial factories.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my French pipes Chacom Champagne, Lamy Meerschaum Lined bought early on and still going strong.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

At the beginning at the 90ties Jeantets Danish agent found old stock in St.Claude.
    They were sold all over the country for about Dkr 100 each ( GBP 11/ USD 12 )at tobacconists.
    Some were stamped "Reserve du Jubilee".Fine pipes and some old shapes.
    When my tobacconist got new home I was allowed to open the boxes and choose, so I have about
    3 - 4 dozen

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention that Londonmakes Jeantet could be one of those - fine pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe!! I love French pipes, IMO best Pipes for the money.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jeantet's a good name, & they do panels well, which ain't all that easy. I've got a couple of nice little French pipes that I keep for when I need just a short bowl. Not a daggone thing wrong with a good French smoke.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. londonmake

londonmake

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the interesting responses!
    Love the way algerian briar colors with smoking, if you get a natural finish piece.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. buck17

buck17

Login to Send PM

I have read mso plugging French pipes before and started looking into it for I am just slowly building up my collection. Finally I have a small, panelled, sandblasted, straight bulldog with a horn stem from Ropp on the way. There are a few more on Smoking Pipes, they look like great quality for the price. Also quite a few of the estate pipes in my range that I have purchased ended up being French and all smoke well. All this to say- great find!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sasquatch, alaskanpiper, jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, mso489, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper