PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry to be obnoxious and repost this. And the pipe is not exactly new (from 1942), nor is this thread. But I realized that my original thread began in the Repair and Maintenance forum, since I was making sure I wasn't missing anything in my preparation for my very first restoration project. My "finished" pictures were buried down at the bottom. And the title of the thread didn't really get across that I had finished!
And I was pretty happy with how the project turned out, especially for my first time, so I thought I would post again, this time in the Pipes forum, since this crusty Dunhill from 1942, which was in pretty good structural shape for its age, but needed some cosmetic work, and lots of cleaning, is now basically a new pipe...to me that is! hehe
I detailed all the steps I undertook in the other thread, basically compiled from trolling the forums and accumulating all the knowledge I could. I didn't remove the chunk missing from the rim and the other assorted dings since for a 70 year old pipe it just seemed right for character building!
before-collage1-600x448.jpg

after-collage-600x546.jpg

stem-comparison-332x600.jpg

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
great job sir. i would like to do a dunhill myself. i think i will go to ebay and look around.
mike.

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
Dunhill pipes made during World War II (there weren't that many comparatively) are quite rare. You can be justifiably proud of your exceptional restoration. Congratulations on bringing an old much used classic back to life!
Thanks for all the nice thoughts! And yeah, the rarity of Dunhills during WWII was part of the draw as well. I got bitten by the ebay bug while searching for a birth year Dunhill, also detailed in another thread (did find my 1971, plus another 1978). But the codes and ability to date Dunhills intrigued me, which led me to that 1942 one...since it was well used, and in need of work, I got it for a pretty good price. Since it was so old, and from a time period where not many were made, I wanted to be very careful restoring it. I figured if I couldn't get it to smokeable condition, I'd at least have it as a show piece. Luckily I was able to get it back! hehe Tomorrow I'm going to give it a smoke, and we'll see just how far back I got it...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very impressive job - especially for a first time, but great even for a seasoned pro. Congrats on a job well done!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great job on your restoration, Wagnon! You did a wonderful job.
On a side note, you were lucky to get a WWII era pipe with what appears to be a Vulcanite stem. There was such a shortage during the war - it started for the UK in 1939 - Dunhill produced burners with stems made from bone, bakelite, cellulose, etc.
Cheers.
Fnord

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
Just gave the pipe a smoke, seemed only natural to load it up with some Dunhill Nightcap, and I have to report that it smoked very nicely. It smoked nice and cool and stayed lit, just needing occasional tapping, for that middle section (between the char light and the end). And being a Group 2, it's probably my smallest pipe, and smallest bowl, so it's nice for when you only have a little while to puff away.
But all in all, no odd flavor or smell from its previous life, nor from the restoration process...so yah! hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.