PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Got this neat Boswell pipe last month on the Bay. It was advertised as an unknown maker since the seller could not tell what the nomenclature said. I have had several Boswell pipes in the past so I recognized the signature. The seller also claimed that there were no smoking issues. For $17.00 I figured I had a pretty good deal.It arrived in fairly nice shape. However,on starting to do a little refurb there was complete obstruction of the airway.Starting at the shank end I could not get a pipe cleaner into the bowl--in fact I couldn't get anything through the stummel.I ended up having to redrill the airway through the shank into the bowl.It was literally concrete from carbon and dried tobacco. The stem was the same condition--took several soakings in Oxyclean and alcohol to clear out all the debris. I don't think the pipe had ever been cleaned--don't see how anyone had been smoking it recently! Now with a little further cleaning and polish, I have a nice early Boswell sitter pipe. ( I talked with the folks at Boswell's. They indicated the signature and number 2 indicates a pipe from 1992.) Hope it smokes like a bought one !! Would be interested if any Boswell smokers can comment. Thanks, Hoppes

Before:

img_0639.jpg

img_0640.jpg

img_0641.jpg

After:

img_0643.jpg

img_0644.jpg

img_0646.jpg

img_0647.jpg

img_0648.jpg

img_0649.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is definitely an old one, nice grab! Enjoy!
A bunch of forum guys are going to have an annual meet-up at Boswells in December (looks like 12/15). I'll post a thread here, once we firm up the date. Drop by if you are in the vicinity.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's a great looking pipe. I've steered away from Boswell's because the pipes I've seen have all been Bradley sized. But that looks great. A that's a great price for a pipe in "minty" condition.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Nice find! I love my Boswell
A bunch of forum guys are going to have an annual meet-up at Boswells in December (looks like 12/15). I'll post a thread here, once we firm up the date. Drop by if you are in the vicinity.

Man,I wish it wasn't 10 hours away from me. I love that place!
That's a great looking pipe. I've steered away from Boswell's because the pipes I've seen have all been Bradley sized.

If you ever get to stop by their actual store, they have much more variety including quite a lot of more normal sized pipes.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
A great looking Boswell! I love their pipes and have quite a few, several of the "Bradley" type, too. I love those big honkers! They smoke!

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
17 bucks is a steal, concrete and all. I've got several...all generous in briar size, styling is excellent, and good smokers all. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.