My new antique "wood" meerschaum-before and after (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
While browsing around ebay one day I came across a listing for an old wood pipe for $4.99. The pictures were terrible, but I decided to take a gamble on it, because I was pretty darn sure it wasn't wood, and that it was very old.
What I got was in fact a well-used and colored antique meerschaum cutty with an amber stem . The bowl was really rough. I assumed years of use had just worn it bare.
wood1-600x384.jpg

wood2-600x384.jpg

wood3-600x384.jpg

I gave the stem shank and bowl a good cleaning and decide to rewax the thing to smooth out the bowl. When I was done, the bowl was still very rough and I realized it was some sort of tape residue. There is a slight surface crack on the bowl and someone apparently decide at some point that tape was the answer! I took some 0000 steel wool and got the residue off and gave rewaxing another shot.
This is what I wound up with
wood6-600x384.jpg

wood-9-600x384.jpg

wood6-600x384.jpg

The coloring on the stem and bottom of the bowl lightened up quite a bit, but I like the way it looks. I'm hoping I can get it to even out more over time.
The back band has a crack that is a bit worrisome. I'd like to find a good metalsmith or jeweler to solder it, since it pretty much is what keeps the stem in place.
wood8-600x384.jpg

I don't know that I'd call this a full restoration, but I'm pretty happy with it. I can also say that , after a couple bowls, the old thing may be the coolest, driest smoking pipe I have.
Hope you like it.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks everyone! I'm glad I finally remembered to take a few before photos ... and I just realized a posted the same picture twice.
This is the flip side.
wood-5-600x384.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Deyro that thing is awesome! All you need now is a sailing ship to go with it. I have a clay that I took sand paper to to smooth out the rough edges and mold marks. I kept polishing with finer grit then waxed it to give it an old timey patina. Not as cool as that though.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I'll join in this chorus for the harmonies. That thing is beautiful.
If I were you (and I'm not by the way) I would just leave that alone for now if it's alright. I would worry about the flux polluting the meerschaum or the heat melting the amber if it couldn't be detached that is. Maybe a fellow with experience working on pieces like that could do something but then again a jeweler may be just the sort of fellow for it.

It also now occurs to me that I don't even know at what temperature amber is in danger and can't recall the exact melting of silver solder...never mind the multiple varieties of the stuff.

Hmm...a three pipe problem indeed...to quote everybody's favourite detective.

Well proceed with caution and choose your repair person carefully. Hah so do what you would do anyway.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Excellent old Meerschaum..!! I'd suggest Floyd Norwood, who has been my go-to-repair guy for years with my Meerschaum Pipes...

http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/index.html

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
That patina is phenomenal ! Great pipe for the $5. I'd get some advice on that band and thread very carefully. It'd be a shame if one did more damage than good on it. Very, very nice though. Congratulations. : worship:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Some people on ebay just don't know what they're selling. I saw a meer that said it was "wood with a meerschaum bowl". You could tell it was a meer from the coloring

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I think I'm going to live with the crack for the time being. To be honest,I keep a hold of forward band on the stem the whole time I smoke it anyway. (Keeps my hand off the hot bowl and lets the little nubbin rest right on my ring finger) Maybe once I get some money saved up I'll send it in for a repair with a couple others I have that need stem work. I'll have to check out Norwoods. Thanks.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very nice...congrats! Wonderful restoration job...great to see an old pipe like that find a new home and be brought back to life. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.