PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Last week I found myself indulging in a bit of PAD-enabling behaviors - mainly cursing Mr. Brog pipes on Amazon and potiential pocket pipes on several of this site's sponsors. I talked myself into a Tsuge (@ SmokingPipes) - arrives later this week BUT as I was seeking to extricate myself from spending more money, I stumbled on a listing on Amazon I just couldn't pass up: A Mr. Brog for $10!!. However, the page had virtually no information about the pipe, not what it's made of, if there is a filter, etc.
Since it was only $10, I decided to give it a go. It arrived today in a nice little box, with a similarly nice bag, and a stand (pictured below).

2013-04-22-185805-600x450.jpg

(Came in a gift box with bag and stand)
The bag is a velvety cotton - I rather like it - and the stand is a cheap plastic. I have another plastic stand from Brog that is much better and actually has their logo on it. The new one is cheap and flimsy, but for $10, who really cares.
I thought it would be a bit smaller than it turned out to be, but it's still small - a little over five inches long, the bowl is about 2ish", the chamber is decent, 1 3/4" deep by 3/4" wide. The pipe feel compact and has a nice weight to it, the balance of it means you need to bite down a bit to hold it up. I am fan of the boxy shank.

2013-04-22-190035-600x450.jpg

(With a quarter to give some scale)
The stem feels like its acrylic, not a surprise coming from using pear Brogs. After removing the stem from the shank, I found the expected stinger - why is it called that? I messed with it a bit, but I am not sure if it will come out, like the one on my churchwarden does.

2013-04-22-185951-600x450.jpg

(stem with stinger)
After refitting the stem to the mortise, I tried out the draw. It seems rather constricted due to the singer. (The draw is fine with the stem off, no blockage in the shank). I wonder again if it will come out. Also, it seems like the drill may have been a bit off, as there is a bit of a well below the draught hole in the chamber. Its fairly shallow, but it's there - the picture below doesn't really show it.

2013-04-22-190136-600x450.jpg

(Chamber may have a bit of a well)
Still, like all Brogs, it's a good looker and it has the right weight to it. And for only $10, I definitely willing to put it through the paces and try out a few bowls. If it works out, a $10 Brog will be quite a deal.

2013-04-22-185846-600x450.jpg

(Closeup on bowl and maker's mark)
I'll update as I try it out. Also, would appreciate any advice on how I can improve the draw - I'll likely give it at least a few bowls in the meantime to see if it will shake out on its own.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Yah man; that's a sweet price. Cobs are half that much so if it's a good smoker it's a great deal. Certainly looks very nice; hope it's a good smoker!

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
For the price that's not bad if it smokes well. Did I see you mention "pear brog"?? So this is pear wood? Sry, tired so I'm a bit slow :rofl:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have 5 Mr Brogs and they are all great! But you really do have to remove that stinger. It will come out mate, they all do in the Brogs. Pair of plyers and a little twist and pull.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
oklansas, the trouble with inexpensive pipes isn't at all that they aren't good pipes. Many if not most are pretty good to excellent.

I'm dubious and amused at folks who think any pipe costing less than $350 is beneath consideration. They obviously haven't

smoked an unfinished Savenelli (or any of hundreds of other good not-expensive pipes). The trouble with inexpensive pipes is

that they can swamp your pipe rack(s), drawers, baskets, attic, basement, glove compartments and pockets. The best reason to

own expensive pipes is that that way, unless you are really rolling in dough, you won't own quite so many. So many pipes, so

little time. Happy smoking with the Brog. Looks great! I'd smoke that one anywhere.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Did I see you mention "pear brog"?? So this is pear wood?

Well, I was talking about my Brog churchwarden, which is pear wood. I really don't know what this one is, it didn't say on the Amazon page and it came with no documentation either. It has a decent weight to it, and it is probably pear wood. But really, for all I know it's briar. Once I get a chance to smoke it, I'll probably be able to tell from the wood taste, if the coating in the chamber doesn't get in the way too much.
the trouble with inexpensive pipes isn't at all that they aren't good pipes. Many if not most are pretty good to excellent.

I'm dubious and amused at folks who think any pipe costing less than $350 is beneath consideration.

As my pipe hobby develops, I'm finding, I really enjoy discovering a cheap pipe that smokes well - That's probably why my collection is already up to five (that's an acquisition rate of about a pipe a week). Unfortunately/Fortunately, Brog's are hitting that sweet spot of price and smokability.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I think that all the Mr. Brog pipes are pearwood, but yours is unusually inexpensive, so it may be something else. I wouldn't worry about the small depression at the draft hole; it might actually help to trap some gunky stuff - sort of the same effect as a "System" pipe. And the stinger should come out OK.
Great pipe for the money - very attractive!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@nsfisher

Pair of plyers and a little twist and pull.
Thanks for the hint, the stinger came right out with a needle nose. Have gotten one bowl in, nice smoker so far.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Nice score. Love that shape on the one. Congrats. Glad you were able to remove the stinger,

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
:UPDATE:
Disaster may have struck this evening during my third bowl on this pipe. While about 1/2 way through my first bowl of FM cellar (ever), I heard what sounded like a gurgle come from the far side of my pipe. When I looked, I noticed a rather long crack had formed. I didn't think I was smoking the pipe too hot. and the area around the crack didn't seem too much hotter than the surrounding parts of the bowl. Looked in the bowl, the crack didn't go through.
I'm hoping its just a split in the clear seal of the finish. Anyway, pictures below.
The Crack

2013-05-01-024624-600x450.jpg

The Bowl

2013-05-01-024528-600x450.jpg

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
This makes me a bit sad to see. It's a great looking pipe for a mere $10, and this thread had me considering one until the "crack". :(
Please keep us updated on weather or not the crack affects the smoking of the pipe, or if it seems to be any deeper than the surface coating. If that is all it is, then it's really not that big of a deal IMO.
Heck, for ten bucks, it would make a great "knockaround" pipe for the tackle box, glove compartment, pocket, or even as a guest pipe for friends. :)

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
UPDATED UPDATE
Turns out the crack, was an actual crack. Tried out a bowl and the whole length of the crack was a hot spot. :(

I think it my be rosewood...it always burned a bit hot for pear...or it could just be a cheap quality pear. But, it was only $10, I'd probably buy one again, especially after my experience with their Customer service folks.
Contacted Mr. Brog via their website, sent some pictures of the crack. They got back to me in under an hour (Wow! and it was after 7pm eastern too) and offered to refund the purchase price. I don't even have to send back the pipe!
Brog customer service again shows how great they are. That $10 purchase will probably turn into a $30 to $50 purchase - I may have to try one of their briar pipes.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Good to hear that they made good on it for you. I have a Brog #15 church warden that I really like. I know in time I will have a few more.

lorenzo3

Lurker
Mar 19, 2013
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about the crack, reading the track of conversation, it was going quite well. I have a Brog Old Captain 21 with a cap on it and it's a great pipe, very light and so far (I've had it for almost a year!) it smokes well with no problems. Pear wood makes for a light pipe and I have no complaints on it. Hope you get better ones on your next Brog!

Status
Not open for further replies.