PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
18415751418402-vi.jpg

And if I lose it, I have about 10K more.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've used empty casings a lot, but I don't think I've ever used a live round! I doubt it would ever go off, but still, you're a brave soul woodsroad! Lol!
By the way, what caliber is that? Looks to me like a 7.62 x 54R.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Great now we have to be nice to Woodsroad since he has access to ammunition

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I would not use a live round in a lit pipe. The heat might accidentally cause the gunpowder to ignite and the bullet could then kill you or someone else near you.
In another thread a member mentioned using a bolt. That would be a safer choice and may cost less than $0.10.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
If it were mine, I would make it safe, but I had friends that kept rattlesnakes in his living room..Had.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I used to use a spent 303 round as a pipe tamp until some over zealous cop in the 1980s took it off me. It is almost as bad as the Federal Express courier refusing to accept a shipment of Condor back in 1999 because it was inflammable. A true George Carling moment if every there was one!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"The heat might accidentally cause the gunpowder to ignite and the bullet could then kill you or someone else near you. "
I assume that you are not familiar with firearms and/or ammunition.
First off, there isn't gunpowder in modern ammunition. It's smokeless propellent, and it is far less sensitive to heat that gunpowder. Second, it would take substantial heat to set it off, or to set off the primer. This has been tested exhaustively both by the military (see Col. Hatcher's Notebook) and by the munitions industries.
Second, a projectile is propelled out of a firearm when the expanding gasses from the burning propellent are kept contained (and thus under extreme pressure) in the chamber and barrel of a firearm. When ammunition is cooked off outside of a firearm, there is zero chance of serious injury. The cartridge case remains intact, the gas dissipates in all directions and the projectile receives very little of the resulting energy. Again, this has been closely studied, not the least by the insurance industry.
I've tested it too. I've thrown live rounds into an exceedingly hot burn barrel. It can take 10 seconds or more for a round to cook off, surrounded by a fire that is over 1000 degrees.
All that said, I'm going to look around for the dummy rounds that I've loaded, and use one of those instead.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Perhaps the new types of powder have been developed recently. As a Life Member of the NRA I am familiar with guns and ammo and the people I knew in the past used gunpowder.
If you do not agree with another member's information, try not to condemn them for it. You can post your information and other members can read it.
Woods:
I saw in a prior post you did the same thing to another member. I hope you will not continue to do this to other members.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't forget, an old golf tee makes a dandy tamper, even if you don't play golf. They're always found around golf courses

and junk drawers. The pointed end makes a sort of pick, but soft and wood so it doesn't gouge anything, and the end

where the ball rests is a pretty good tamper. Then there's the ever popular pipe nail, made for the purpose and way cheap.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mr. Mason,
I stated at the outset that I was making an assumption. I believe that my assumption was at least in part, correct.
I then went on to explain exactly why what I was doing did not present a hazard.
At no point did I condemn you for your statements or opinions. Reread what I wrote.
Your statement "The heat might accidentally cause the gunpowder to ignite and the bullet could then kill you or someone else near you. " indicated to me that you were not familiar with ammunition, and I preceded as such.
Modern ammunition (introduced after 1890 or so) contains smokeless powder, a propellent that burns slowly unless contained and ignited by an intense, overwhelming direct flame, such as that from a primer. "Gunpowder" is black powder, a low-order explosive. It is still widely used in blackpowder firearms and fireworks, and requires much more careful handling than smokeless powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.