PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
... And I've absolutely no idea what it is. Anyone know?

The marking on the briar is PALL and the stamping on the rim is L&AM
Cheers in advance.
Download-File

Download-File

Download-File

Download-File

Download-File

I do want to keep a hold of it as I really like the look of it and the way it smoked but would like to know a little more about what I've got :)

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Hiya, I was thinking the same thing. I know for a fact the pipe is relatively old as it belonged to the person's grandfather. The reason I think you may be right is that I cant remove the stem from the shank at all. I can't tell if the metal is all one piece and there doesn't seem to be any metal joinery work going on, however the metal rim on the stem definitely seems newer than the metal cap on the shank. Regardless, I think it looks nice and kmow it smokes well but am interested to know any history I can find on it. Thanks for responding :)

Oct 12, 2014
It looks like someone along the way effected a repair..the stamps on the metal (is it silver?) possibly a hallmark..

925-1000.com is a website of them. Maybe you can find it.
Nice looking pipe anyway

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you can post a better picture of the hallmarks we'll have a chance to get to the age and place of manufacture. My Scooby sense tell me that this pipe is early 20th century but a clearer look at he hallmark will help.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I can see rust on the collar. So it isn't silver, more likely nickel plate. Looks like a 60s-70s pipe to me. The rustication looks like something from that period. The stem is definitely from another pipe. I'd say give it a good hard ccw twist and I'll bet it comes off. But then you may not be able to get it back together again.

Oct 12, 2014
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pall-mall-pipe-london-made-107-vintage-/120526327371
Well pall mall made pipes..must be a repaired version. The "Pall" isn't written in the same style though..

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Hi all, thanks for all your responses. :) I had looked into the pall mall pipe side of things but couldn't find anything that looked like this (even just to bowl) and like you say melvinsunsmokedcastello, the pall doesn't look quite the same. I know manufacturers change their markings more often than I have hot meals but I would've thought that the 'mall' would also be included in the stamping itself. As for the hallmarks, thank you Darwin for the better quality photo. I'm afraid I don't have a very good camera and can't afford any better at the moment... Student life. :( it's been a similar story with the marks though, I can't find much on them. Who exactly were L&AM?

Crawley1066

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2014
United Kingdom
www.jpcleather.com
Yeah, regardless of whether or not it's original, I'm a buy it to smoke it type of guy and really appreciate its shape (not that you wouldn't if lit just sat on a shelf mind you). I do really like it, and it's obviously been loved in the past to have someone repair it as well as they did, even if the repair is potentially nothing like the original. :')

Oct 12, 2014
"it's obviously been loved in the past to have someone repair it as well as they did"
True, it's like when you see a heavily caked well used estate..you know it's probably a great smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.