PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
photo-15.jpg

I decided I wanted to put up a more formal introduction. My name is Anthony. I'll start with the boring: I graduated from the University of Dayton with a Bachelors of Music in Music Education in December 2010. Currently I am teaching at Leggee Elementary School in Huntley, IL. K-2 Music for the rest of the year. This is actually my sister's job but she's out on Maternity leave till next year. This works out nicely for my bank account. I plan on attending Graduate school for Jazz Studies and then making a decision on if I want to go back to teaching HS or something and perform when I can, or try my hand at Doctoral school so I can teach at a University. In either case, playing is extremely important to me. I am a percussionist. My focus is Jazz Vibraphone, but I also love my Kit (all styles), and all things percussion. I own a Jenco Vibraphone, Gretch Catalina Jazz Kit, a Cajon, a Djembe, and lots of percussion toys.
My other interests include Star Wars, Video Games, Star Wars, TV/Movies, and lots of Star Wars. When I'm not practicing, I like to play computer games, or watch a good TV Show. I also enjoy working out. I fish when I can. I really like dark beer, but drinking it fills me up to much. Fortunately I have a love for Scotch so that's what fills my glass most nights. Nights when I play D&D with my friends, I get my beer fix. When not drinking booze, it's coffee or orange juice.
I like to describe myself as a pleasant mix of Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and Greg House...with a little of me thrown in!
My friends and I began smoking cigars when we began turning 18. Being a younger one in the group, I actually started at 17 (YIKES!) We became big fans of Acid! cigars. Then we all soon went off to college, slowed down smoking for money reasons, and my friend who went to the University of Chicago met a kid who introduced him to Pipe Smoking. For us, it was a much more economical choice than cigars. He bought me my first Cob. We started smoking something GL Pease, honestly don't remember what was first, and loved it. Been a pipe smoker ever since. As our taste in pipe tobacco refined (basically by touring Greg's work, with a few others) we all found we greatly disliked Acid! cigars. My current favorites are Padron 1964s, Maduro Wrappers. That first year, my same friend bought me my Rattray's (pictured on the pipe stand) for Christmas. I still don't have a strong preferance of Virginia v. Perique v. Oriental v. Latakia and seem to like a lot of different blends. Blends I know for sure I've had include: Cairo, Abingdon, Charring Cross, Caravan, Cumberland, Samarra, Union Square, Lagonda, Meridian, Quite Nights, Chelsea Morning, JKP, Triple Play, Key Largo, Maltese Falcon, and Aragorn. I've had non Pease blends as well, but the only memorable one is Peterson's University Flake. My current Favorite is Jack Knife Plug. As you see in the picture, my currently opened tins are Key Largo, Lagonda, and Meridian. Just opened the Key Largo tonight....delicious. Roasty and complex. Very Full.
A bit on the rest of the pipes:
Bottom Left: That's a "Real Briar" no name that I picked up at one of the Chicago Shows I went to. I had driven in from school in Ohio and left my pipe at school :( but accepted this as my 2nd pipe (2nd because somewhere along the lines I lost my cob...sad day)
Bottom middle: No name "ITALY" that I picked up from The Warf in Dayton, OH. A very nice shop that I spent to little time at when I was at school. This is a great short smoke pipe.
Bottom right: Chacom pipe from the 2011 Chicago Slow Smoking Competition. My only straight pipe and I use it often.
Top Left: Ranger by MacQueen. This is a fun pipe for me. I bought it based on it's look as I had found many very mixed reviews on MacQueen pipes, but decided I wanted one anyway because it looked BAMF. The company had many issues, loosing my order a number of times, extremely long wait time on email responses, but alas the pipe showed up. It smokes very cool. Sometimes I actually feel like I am missing some of the full flavor of my baccy with it, but I do really like the thing. I wouldn't be against buying another MacQueen, but it's not high on my PAD list.
Top middle: Genod I bought at last year's Chicago Show. A great pipe, nuff said.
Top Left: This is my Rattray's that I mentioned earlier. Fantastic pipe, great draw, feels good in hand and in mouth. Also sentimental as my first pipe.
Well that's all for now folks! I'm bored with typing. I've had a lot of fun on these forums....looking forward to more!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Interesting bio Anthony. I'm sure you've picked up on the number of musicians we have as Members.

I too have a BA in Music, my concentration was Theory and Composition, piano primary, voice, woodwind, and brass secondaries. University of Montevallo.

One of my old classmates is the Director of Jazz Studies at Emory.

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain...

Nice pipes by the way.

:puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Welcome to our little corner of the world! I think youll find that most of the ladies and gents here are more civilized than most, more eccentric than some, and more helpful and kind then almost all.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Welcome Anthony,hope to see you often on here.Nice pipes you got there.I would describe myself as an ancient mixture of Popeye,Homer Simpson and Donald Duck (well we are the same age LOL )

Tom

xoibsurferx

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2011
Monroe, NC
Your introduction is great! It sounds like you really know yourself which is a great thing. Best of all you love pipe smoking.
I used to be into playing drums. I mainly played a kit but enjoyed all of it. I had to sell everything for cash but one day ill play again.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I couldn't be bothered to read your write up, but I notice a Darth Vader figure and a Millenium Falcon in your picture. Are you a Star Wars fan?!?!?
Also, what are those blue puff balls on the end of your chopsticks?
:wink:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Thanks for sharing, Anthony. I hope you are feeling as welcome here as I am.

It's nice to get a glimpse of the people behind the avatars sometimes. I like your "real" avatar, too.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
brewshooter, those are chopsticks for soup, aincha got any class?
Of course, I don't know why I didn't see that at first. Boy do I have egg on my face...possibly from an egg drop soup that I'm going to be eating with a brand new set of those fabulous soup chopsticks!!!

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Brewshooter:
I couldn't be bothered to read your write up, but I notice a Darth Vader figure and a Millenium Falcon in your picture. Are you a Star Wars fan?!?!?
Also, what are those blue puff balls on the end of your chopsticks?
No. I am not a Star Wars fan. I despise Star Wars actually. I keep mementos like these around my apartment to remind myself how the world sometimes falls behind just awful concepts such as this. Specifically I like to have some Star Wars paraphernalia near my pipes so that when I light up, I can throw the burning matches at them, hoping they catch flame and I can slowly rid the world of this terrible franchise.
Secondly, I have no idea what the blue puff ball things are supposed to be used for. I stole them from some lame kid in High School. He was a total nerd (played in the band, watched lame TV shows, carried around D&D books...you know the type) and I was in w/ my fellow Basketball players, so one day I just knocked him around and stole these puff ball things. It was funny as hell. Now I use the chopstick side as a tamper, which works quite well. The puff ball side is actually rather heavy, so if I'm sitting around smoking and see some other nerdy lame ass or some tobacco anti I can thwap them upside the head with it. It'll shut most people up.
If you feel you've recently been lied to by me....please reference the OP!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
No. I am not a Star Wars fan. I despise Star Wars actually. I keep mementos like these around my apartment to remind myself how the world sometimes falls behind just awful concepts such as this. Specifically I like to have some Star Wars paraphernalia near my pipes so that when I light up, I can throw the burning matches at them, hoping they catch flame and I can slowly rid the world of this terrible franchise.
I myself am a fan of the series, but, for some reason, your reaction seems perfectly reasonable to me. May the force be with you! Carry on!
Secondly, I have no idea what the blue puff ball things are supposed to be used for.
Good news, we figured out that they are to turn your chopsticks into a sort of soup eating utensil. God, I sure do love soup! :lol: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.