PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
C48D1970-CD6E-4FB2-9856-1C3D8B914844-2182-0000042AC0150749_zpsc8250ea7.jpg
Ed aka EJames made this for me, we had a huge Mullberry tree in pig yard on my Grandfathers farm, he loved it my Grandmother hated it. Birds would plop on her sheets on the line. When I built on the farm, barn went where the old tree hit by lightning had to go. Many memories as a young boy with that tree. But I know my Grandmother was smileing

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great story and sweet pipe cajun! When I was in high school my parents bought an old farm. beside a pond was a huge Mullberry tree. My dad made wine with the berries. Delicious!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Awesome story and wonderful sentiment into that pipe Old Cajun. Thank you for posting it. I used to love watching my cat hunt "drunk" birds that had been eating over-ripe mulberries. Poor stupid birds would wander around on the ground, stumbling, and the cat eventually got so confused/tired/bored that she'd just sit and watch 'em.
Does the wood impart any flavour/aroma on the smoke?
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ed has one and told me the first couple smokes you get a burnt wood taste. I got a little of it but not much, pipe is super light, smokes very dry, I"m so impressed I"ve asked Ed to make me a Cherrywood to have a pair.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Good looking pipe, my dad hated our mulberry tree he had it cut out years ago before I started on pipes I wish I had some of that root wood now that I see your pipe.. long years of happiness from it I hope

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
That's a great looking pipe and a story like that makes it so much more valuable, a real family heirloom in years to come !

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Gents! Winton,Brads pipe was made from that chunk of Mulberry you sent me. I ruined the first pipe I started for Brad,had my head where the sun doesn't shine and drilled the chamber WAY to deep. I sent some of that piece to friend to have him make ME a pipe.He makes a two piece pipe with threaded bowls,kinda like the Falcon or Vikings etc. except all wood--with a rubber or acrylic stem. Now I need to dig up more Mulberry to make Brad a Cherrywood.
85royals--you don't need Mulberry root wood( or Cherry,Apple,Pear or other hardwoods),any well seasoned part of the tree will work.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Now that was an awesome idea, and it looks wonderful. Wish I had kept a piece of my mother's old fig tree now. Happy smoking, Old Cajun.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Great looking pipe! This reminds me of all the Mulberry and Osage Orange trees that would grow along the country roads in Michigan when I was growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.