PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i started smoking pipes about 8 years ago. started heavy, then tapered off for a few years while i was moving and travelling almost non-stop. recently fell back in love with the boys here to the extent that the cigarettes are thankfully 99% gone. they still happen when i need a real quick fix at the shop.

anyway here is my small collection as it stands right now.

theboys.jpg

the churchwarden at the top is a benton. going down in rows from the left; my corn cob, a nording ocaso, and a freehand my uncle gave me. he said he purchased it in the boston area in the late sixties. the pipe has absolutely no markings or name on it. great smoker with a deep bowl. the middle row is; an old stanwell 43. i found this old one and loved the shape. stem tip is broken and i hope to be getting a new stem for him soon. below that is the stanwell legend bulldog, stanwell majestic canadian, a leonessa, and a stnawell hans christian anderson. the last row ae my four workhorses. these are the guys that get taken to the shop and out and about with me most often. all were estates. a bulldog maked "coolmor", bradford rodesian, belmont whitehall author, and a dr gabrow starfire. the bradford, gabrow, and hans christian anderson are probably my favorites... this week.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
very nice little collection there! isn't the best part of your day looking at them and deciding who's going to be your dancing partner, and with which tobacco? :clap:

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Great collection you have there. I was thinking of picking up a Stanwell H.C.A.

myself.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I especially like the freehand. Not only is it a great looking pipe, but a great story too. I've never inherited pipes from family, though my grandfather was a pipesmoker. He passed away before I was born, no telling what happened to his pipes by the time I picked up the habit myself.

Nice pipes.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Just noticed the paintings in the background, and the one is a perfect image of the Leonessa. Are you a painter yourself, or did someone that you know paint those ?

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
hey thanks guys.

the paintings in the back are portraits of my pipes that i started. i have those two finished and then two others started but i haven't had the time to work on them for the last week or so.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thats good work man. I like the backgrounds and colors, the detail is great, and of course the subject matter rocks. Been years since I've had time to do any type of drawing, no telling what I'd come up with these days..... maybe a pipe!

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
You have 5 truly beautiful (by my tastes anyway) pipes there, and the rest are attractive enough. Very nice indeed.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Nice collection! I noticed the one, bottom second row in the middle, is the same pipe in your avatar and in the painting on the right. Tell me about that one, please.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
You referred to your collection as small, but I have to say what it lacks in size it makes up for in style and character.
Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
That realy is a modest little collection. I love it! Thanks for sharing with us :)

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Absolutely love those two freehands on the left. Beautiful.

And y'know I may be crazy (well probably but that's neither here nor there) but that one with no name looks a lot like a Brigham to me. Are those three brass dots on the stem? One larger in the middle? A few Brigham's I own from that era have very faded and almost vanished stamps so it seems it was a common happening. Brigham had a sporadic presence in the states over the years.

Here's a link that'll show you a little info on their Norseman and Valhalla line (aren't those great names for a pipe line?). Just scroll down the page and you may just have got them identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.