Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvorak

Lurker
Dec 1, 2014
Hey everyone,
I'm sure most of you know that MM does a deal where you can get some rejects from production line inspection. I treated myself to this for a little self-gifting. The bag is $30 and shipping (within Missouri) was $8 (!!!). Overall, I am pleased. The differences are purely cosmetic and have no effect on smoke.
Has anyone else purchased this bag? What did you get?
4 Legends (2 straight, 2 bent)

1 Missouri Pride (straight. Has moderate cosmetic issues. It looks 'overly fuzzy.' Image below.)

1 Mizzou (The shank was broken in transit! And it is a pipe-specific stem! There's also a piece of plastic making it hard to replace. Oh well.)

1 Pony Express (straight)

1 Washington (bent)

1 Patriot (I was stoked. Virtually zero visual defects either!)

1 Diplomat (This thing is HUGE! You can't sit it down, it will tip over.)
Unfortunately, I did not get a 'Cobbit.' Or a MacArthur/General. Ah well.
Total value: 4*5.99+4.39+4.99+4.99+7.59+10.69+10.69 = $67.30. Not bad for 'MSRP' $30.
I also purchased a short stop which had a punctured shank (pic below. Can be solved with tape.) How ironic that I received a damaged product. I'm not complaining, MM forever.
Pictures:

c4670fb250212e340734075603c7cc4c.png

3c3afbc13937e89f0bd030e80d0f3240.png

2ce0b8185d110de4aa917d345ff0cddb.png

45f260de10a225cc158feeac0e0b671b.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always think I'd give away some of these to other guys who might enjoy trying a bowl,

but then I think of the wrath I might incur from their wives and others who would see it

as a slow assassination. Anyway, it's a great package and all the pipes you need for the

next eight years. My wife gave me a natural white freehand MM cob for Christmas, and

it has a huge bowl, looks like two hours worth. Have fun with them cobs.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I wonder if that Diplomat might be a Great Dane Egg instead.
You did well getting two of the larger cobs. My grab bag only had one (a bent Diplomat). The grab bag is always a majority of the Legend/ Washington model as that is their most popular model.
I wouldn't expect to see a Cobbit in the grab bag as they are super new.

dvorak

Lurker
Dec 1, 2014
The short stop pipe is probably my favorite of the bunch, believe it or not. It's worth posting a review about it; I'll have to make some notes. But would anyone bother to look at a review of a $3 pipe?
@mso

Heh, I've got plenty of buds that are interested in it. The way I see it I would be spreading more happiness than anything else! (That probably sounds terrible to a lot of people, as you said.)
I definitely have enough pipes to get into my new collection of 25 tobaccos. :puffpipe:
@newbroom

Care to share what you received?
@michiganlover

Great Dane Egg? I'm not sure where you got that. But I'm certain I've mislabeled at least one above!

(See http://corncobpipe.com/great-dane-corncob-pipe.html)
Funny thing, I actually planned my purchase right around x-mas time so that I would have higher chances of getting better goods. In the grand scheme of things, I got lucky, but I've heard luckier. I actually didn't know they had Cobbits until the day after I purchased. Darn.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
That looks like a great group, and a supply of cobs for the coming year. The most fun I have had with cobs was a trip to the factory in Washington, MO. I was able to pick from a box of rejects, and got my first Wangee cob, a bamboo shanked bent. Came away with a couple of handfuls of cobs that are still some of my favorites.....good memories, good people.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
dvorak, from what I can determine, I got MOSTLY small cobs. I got one Morgan, which, as you say is a small pipe, and along with that I think I've got a few Sawyers and Finns, also smaller cobs,a couple legends, a Washington and the only 'big' cob I think is a Twain. A mix of 'finished' and natural bowls.

I love the small bowls too! Nose warmers (Morgan) with heart. Light, easy smoking and clenchable.

dvorak

Lurker
Dec 1, 2014
@desertpipe

How does one go about visiting them? Just walk in anytime M-F 9-5 or should you shoot an email?
@newbroom

Fairly wide variety you got there! Shame you didn't get anything too 'big.' Still, the Morgan looks pretty decent and nearly impossible to get hot in your hand. I might just have to pick one up for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.