Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So this was my first grab bag purchase from MM and I couldn't be happier with what I got. I just wished I was more careful in identifying the types of stems they have as replacements, since I snagged the wrong dang size. Here is the picture of my horde:
20180620_161434-600x291.jpg

I think I did pretty well, from top to bottom on left, then right, I think I have four Legends, 2-straight, 2-bent, then on the right I think that's a Huck Finn straight, then a Great Dane straight, followed by a Country Gent bent. Then I picked up a pouch of their Missouri Pride and some replacement stems, but I bought the slim instead of the regular filter bits. (I also just received my tin of BF and fully plan to make a new post on that once I have had my first bowlful...and I already can't wait)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I might try it on one of the legends and see how it goes. I've never actually done it before, myself, so it will be new territory. My MM Cobbler smokes great without it, especially since I can never seem to get to the bottom of the bowl on any aros I smoke. I think the only time I got near the plug at all was with some CH that burned all the way down.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
CCW, what replacement stems did you get?
I have never done any mods to the bottom of a cob bowl except once. I used pipe mud made from cigar ash to "mud" the bottom. Everything I smoked in it ever after tasted like nasty old cigar ash, so I ended up chucking it. I don't even know why I bothered; I have never had a problem with a cob bowl bottom, with or without hardwood plug. It was just curiosity, I guess.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I ended up buying the "slim" bits, the ones for the filterless pipes. I didn't realize that they were two different stems. To replace any of the ones I got in the bag, I would have needed to buy the stems for the filtered pipes. I just wanted some replacements in case I messed some up. Ah well, it's a $3.00 that would result in a shipping fee that costs more than the stems, so I reckon I'll just wait until I want to place a larger order for something in the future. Good to know, though about the mud. My cobbler currently smokes great without it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have put the "Danish bits" from the MM website on all my cobs. They have a wider, better-formed button than the stock stems. They are more like a "regular" pipe stem you would find on a briar pipe. The only cob I have that they won't fit is a Little Devil cutty that takes the tiny stems.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Do they fit the filtered pipes? I know the slims won't, I tried everyone I got, but all of them are filtered stems, even the Huck Fin, which I think normally comes as a non-filtered pipe. If those work too, I might just pick up a few of those.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Great haul. I love MM seconds, you get such good quality pipes for the money. The legends are great to have around. I keep one in my office that's never been smoked and just fiddle with it while working. Like a grown man's fidget toy haha

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hahaha, yeah, I was playing with them all at the office today after they came in. I love how big that country gent is and the Huck Finn seems like the perfect size for when you only have a few minutes, or for even using as a sampling pipe. Going to just start a daily rotation with all my cobs and save my nicer pipes for when I'm at home. The briars I have take just a little more attention than the cobs do, so they're perfect to keep at my office or for clunking around town.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The 'Huck Finn' second is the only cob I've ever burned through. I was happily smoking it as new, enjoying that corn taste that sometimes comes through on a new cob, and before I knew it, I had it burning the cob.

I recommend a nice slow break in on that natural cob. They might breathe a little too good when new.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
The bottom will gunk up on it's own. I often just put a drop of honey in the bottom and then, once the bowl is spent, cover it with my thumb and shake it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'll have to watch my Huck Finn then. It does seem a little thin-walled. I'll probably just take that one slow and not smoke any aros in it, or at least none that I have to worry about burning too hot. Might be a really good pipe for those PA's, CH's or simple burleys. Those never run hot for me at all, so I could stick to them for that pipe.
I might could try that honey method, but I'll likely try these out as is first. Does the honey get less viscous due to the heat of smoking?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yes, the Danish bits fit the regular filtered models like the Legend, Rob Roy, Country Gent, Mark Twain. If you can get a good Google Image picture of the two bits side-by-side, you'll see what a difference there is. The Danish is far superior, IMO. And they custom-bend very easily by dipping them in hot water, which is a nice plus. I buy all straights and bend them as needed, because I don't really like the "crimped" bend MM uses.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
If you want to drop some coin on stems that should outlast the cob there is the option of "forever stems". Haven't tried them myself so I can't recommend them. Just recall reading about them is all.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just fill them and smoke them. The bottom works itself out after a while, just don't freight train through it.
Thanks aldecaker. I just ordered 4 Danish bits, shipped for under $4. Look forward to trying them.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice selection. Unless you lose them, they'll be around for decades mostly. I've stopped thinking of MM cobs as disposable pipes, as I've said before. They last for years and smoke so well. Mine tend to look well-smoked but don't even begin to be burnt out. Right now I'm smoking an Austrian made Scottish blend in my Charles Townes Cobbler pipe, a collaboration with C&D. They do fine with almost any blend. Some members smoke mostly or only MM cobs, and I can understand. Love my briars, but I love my cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think part of the pleasure of MM cobs is that they are so carefree, and they respond invariably to simple cleaning and maintenance. They are the pipes that most often burn down to ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.